Mailing List Archive

mod_fastcgi config for a Catalyst app.
Could someone help me, with a bit of plain english please?
Am finding the tutorials on getting mod_fastcgi installed and working a tad confusing.

I have a VPS with Cpanel and WHM.
Apache 2.2.24
A number of different user directories,
only one of which has to run a Catalyst app.
[.Although it would be nice to use one user as a dev server, and another user as a production server]

I have downloaded http://fastcgi.com/dist/mod_fastcgi-current.tar.gz
I extracted this on the hard drive of my MacBook Pro.
This gave me the folder:
mod_fastcgi-2.4.6

On my VPS, my apache appeared to be installed at /usr/local/apache
...so I opened up Makefile.AP2 within the mod_fastcgi-2.4.6 folder on my laptop, using a text editor, and changed:
top_dir = /usr/local/apache2
to the following:
top_dir = /usr/local/apache
...so that the top directory path would be correct.

I then uploaded the entire mod_fastcgi-2.4.6 folder to the root of my VPS.

I opened a terminal window and logged in as root, using SSH.
I changed directory to the folder I'd just uploaded:
cd mod_fastcgi-2.4.6
Then I entered the three command lines in the installation instructions, one after each other:
cp Makefile.AP2 Makefile
make
make install

I then browsed to the folder:
/usr/local/apache/modules/
...and saw the file:
mod_fastcgi.so
... was now in there, so assumed that's mod_fastcgi installed! =D Hooray!

So now I believe I need to:
Configure Apache.
Restart Apache.
Run my Catalyst App.
....and this is where I'm having trouble.

Here are my problems:

PROBLEM ONE:

Tutorials imply the following line should be added to the httpd.conf file:
LoadModule fastcgi_module modules/mod_fastcgi.so
...with modules being the folder mod_fastcgi.so is in on my VPS.

So - my first question - where in httpd.conf do I put it?
At the very start?
In between the <Virtual Host> tags for the domain name I want the Catalyst App to be at?
In the include conf files, for my domain name (the includes are in the last line before the virtual host tag closes)?
Or do I forget about httpd.conf entirely, and shove it in a .htaccess file, in my app's directory?

From what I gather, External (aka Standalone Server Mode, aka as just Server) is the best mode to run the app under.
This brings us nicely to....

PROBLEM TWO:
http://wiki.catalystframework.org/wiki/deployment/apache_fastcgi#Configure_Apache
...gets pretty confusing here.
It gives the example of:
<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
FastCgiExternalServer /tmp/myapp.fcgi -host myhost:8081
Alias /myapp/ /tmp/myapp.fcgi/
</IfModule>
I need to know how to customise this for my purposes.
My server does have a /tmp/ directory, and I understand myapp.fcgi is totally fictional and shouldn't exist.
Now - what about the rest of the first line? -host myhost:8081
Documentation says we should change hostname and port as appropriate.
So should the line be:
FastCgiExternalServer /tmp/myapp.fcgi -host www.mydomainname.com:8081
...or:
FastCgiExternalServer /tmp/myapp.fcgi -host localhost:8081
...or:
FastCgiExternalServer /tmp/myapp.fcgi -socket some-sort-of-filename-goes-here
(...which raises the question - what filename? mod_fastcgi documentation says the filename of the unix domain socket the app uses to communicate with the web server - I have no idea what that is, =S. )
...or:
FastCgiExternalServer /tmp/myapp.fcgi gamextra -8081
(..my attempt at interpreting user -port)
...or should the line be something else entirely??
I'm assuming:
Alias /myapp/ /tmp/myapp.fcgi/
...will be entirely correct as it is, yes?

PROBLEM THREE:
Where do I put...
<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
FastCgiExternalServer /tmp/myapp.fcgi -host localhost:8081
Alias /myapp/ /tmp/myapp.fcgi/
</IfModule>
....? The same place we put the LoadModule line in PROBLEM ONE...?

I assume after solving these three problems, I simply:
Restart Apache.
Launch my catalyst app from the command line using lines similar to the examples in the documentation.
Any advice on setting the -n flag? The
http://wiki.catalystframework.org/wiki/deployment/apache_fastcgi#Run_your_app_as_a_FastCGI_process example decides to run three parallel instances.

UPDATE:
Just as I'm finishing this email, I see:
www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/16 suggests:
FastCgiExternalServer
/path/to/myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl -host 127.0.0.1:55900
Alias / /path/to/myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl/
# or Alias /myapp/ /path/to/myapp/script/myapp_fastcgi.pl/ to run at a non root location

My Catalyst app is at:
/home/gamextra/public_html/GXCatalystTest/script/gxcatalysttest_fastcgi.pl
Should I interpret that as....
FastCgiExternalServer /home/gamextra/public_html/GXCatalystTest/script/gxcatalysttest_fastcgi.pl -host 127.0.0.1:55900
Alias /myapp/ /home/gamextra/public_html/GXCatalystTest/script/gxcatalysttest_fastcgi.pl/
....?
Would that work as a solution to problem two?
If so - problem three - where would I put it? ^_^.

Feedback appreciated - as this is something I could waste whole days reading multiple tutorials on!
Already taken me a day to learn all I had to do was type three simple command lines to install mod_fastcgi, =P....!!

Huge thanks people,

Yours,
Andrew.
Re: mod_fastcgi config for a Catalyst app. [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

There's a sample Apache config and external fastcgi launcher command in
ShinyCMS:
https://github.com/denny/ShinyCMS/blob/master/docs/sample-apache-conf/httpd.conf
https://github.com/denny/ShinyCMS/blob/master/bin/external-fastcgi-server

Possibly having a look at those will help you figure out what to do with
your own environment. Good luck!

Cheers,
Denny

Re: mod_fastcgi config for a Catalyst app. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2015-10-18 at 15:50 +0100, Andrew wrote:
> I still don't know if
> FastCgiExternalServer /home/gamextra/public_html/GXCatalystTest/script/gxcatalysttest_fastcgi.pl
> ...is just a fictional filename that could be anything, or always has
> to literally point to your fastcgi script in the catalyst app's script
> folder.

Yes, it has to point to the fastcgi script for your application (which
Catalyst helpfully provides, as you've noted).

> Next thing I need to learn:
> If I've used:
> script/gxcatalysttest_fastcgi.pl -l www.game-extra.com:55900
> -p /tmp/myapp.pid
> ...to start the app.
> How does one stop or restart it?

This might not be the best way, but I just use top. Enter u followed by
the relevant username to narrow down the process list, and look for the
one called perl-fcgi-pm rather than just perl-fcgi. Then enter k
followed by the process number of the process you just found, and then
hit enter again to accept the default signal (15).

Regards,
Denny

Re: mod_fastcgi config for a Catalyst app. [ In reply to ]
Many thanks on the advice as regards stopping and restarting, =).

I now gather your other bit of advice however, isn't quite the case....
As per the Catalyst Wiki's documentation, the path has to be real, but the
file can be entirely fictional.

I just added lines to the includes file referenced within the virtual host
tag of a subdomain, to also load the same Catalyst app.

I.e. one domain name that runs the app in the browser,
and another domain name's subdomain also running the same app in the
browser.
Two urls running one app.

Yet the lines I added to the subdomain's virtual host tag includes file,
caused Apache to fail to restart, if they contained the
/home/gamextra/public_html/GXCatalystTest/script/gxcatalysttest_fastcgi.pl
path - simply because, the subdomain virtual host, didn't have access to
that path (that's my best guess at least).
So I followed the wiki's advice (must be to a directory that exists and is
readable by the user), and changed it simply to:
/tmp/gxcatalysttest_fastcgi.pl
...even though there is no gxcatalysttest_fastcgi.pl in that directory
("even though the path must exist, the file is essentially bogus").
And it worked, =).

Got a subdomain on one domain, and the root of another domain, both pointing
to the same web app, =).

Top banana! =)

If the name of the file really doesn't have to be accurate, I'm thinking
next, I might experiment changing .pl to .fcgi since the wiki also warned
Catalyst gets confused otherwise, =S.

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
I've ended up using Plackup to start the catalyst app's psgi script (still
via fast cgi),
and I'm using -r to indicate it should watch for changes, and reload the
server when changes are detected.

It does this fine, as long as my commandline terminal is still open.
The moment I close it, the server continues to run, yet any watching for
changes, killing, and restarting no longer happens (as far as I can tell).

Is there any way to get Plack's scripts that watch and reload (i.e.
Restarter.pm, etc), to continue to run after I close OSX's terminal window /
end the SSH session?

Many thanks for any insights offered,

Yours,
Andrew.

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
What about wrapping your shell session with screen?

$ man screen

--Trevor

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
I didn't know about screen - so thanks! =)
Sounds like it could be a workaround!

Any other ways?

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
Turns out it's super easy to run it in the background, =).

You just add "&" to the end of the commandline, =D.

^_^ Am learning these little server tricks, ;-).

[.Tweeted Tatsuhiko Miyagawa of Plack fame, who was kind enough to promptly
respond, with this little gem, =D. Yay!]

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
I'd still consider using screen or tmux...

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Andrew <catalystgroup@unitedgames.co.uk>
wrote:

> Turns out it's super easy to run it in the background, =).
>
> You just add "&" to the end of the commandline, =D.
>
> ^_^ Am learning these little server tricks, ;-).
>
> [.Tweeted Tatsuhiko Miyagawa of Plack fame, who was kind enough to promptly
> respond, with this little gem, =D. Yay!]
>
> Yours,
> Andrew.

Len Jaffe - Information Technology Smoke Jumper - lenjaffe@jaffesystems.com
614-404-4214 @LenJaffe <https://www.twitter.com/lenJaffe>
www.lenjaffe.com
Host of Code Jam Columbus <http://www.meetup.com/techlifecolumbus/> -
@CodeJamCMH <https://www.twitter.com/CodeJamCMH>
Curator of Advent Planet <http://www.lenjaffe.com/AdventPlanet/> - An
Aggregation of Online Advent Calendars.
Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
Tmux is generally newer and easier to use than screen, highly recommended.

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
Why is it better to use these over using an "&"....?

Or are you simply recommending them generally, due to their usefulness all round?

Yours,
Andrew.

What about wrapping your shell session with screen?

$ man screen

--Trevor

On 10/23/2015 08:21 AM, Andrew wrote:

> I've ended up using Plackup to start the catalyst app's psgi script (still
> via fast cgi),
> and I'm using -r to indicate it should watch for changes, and reload the
> server when changes are detected.
>
> It does this fine, as long as my commandline terminal is still open.
> The moment I close it, the server continues to run, yet any watching for
> changes, killing, and restarting no longer happens (as far as I can tell).
>
> Is there any way to get Plack's scripts that watch and reload (i.e.
> Restarter.pm, etc), to continue to run after I close OSX's terminal window
/
> end the SSH session?
>

> Many thanks for any insights offered,
>
> Yours,
> Andrew.

> Searchable archive:

Len Jaffe - Information Technology Smoke Jumper - lenjaffe@jaffesystems.com
614-404-4214 @LenJaffe www.lenjaffe.com

Host of Code Jam Columbus - @CodeJamCMH
Curator of Advent Planet - An Aggregation of Online Advent Calendars.

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
A further search online,
throws up that screen and tmux can be useful if the app you want to run in the background needs input now and again.

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
Tmux is the poor man's deployment pathway ;). I use it to keep long
running jobs going between logins a lot too, as well as for having an
editor in the right place from where I last left off. All round a primo
useful tool. Also handy for persistent IRC connections etc.

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
& just backgrounds a job. If you close the terminal, you lose job control.
If you use tmux, you can close the terminal, but leave the session running,
and reattach to the session later.

It is well work looking into.

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
When I connect to Linux servers using SSH and run the programs using
perl program.pl > something.log 2>&1 &
then I can use the command exit to close the SSH console but the program continues to run.
I remember that in past I needed to use nohup, but in last years I didn't need it anymore.

Is the SSH connection a special case but it doesn't work when using a real bash console directly?

--Octavian

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita@gmail.com>
wrote:

> When I connect to Linux servers using SSH and run the programs using
> perl program.pl > something.log 2>&1 &
> then I can use the command exit to close the SSH console but the program
> continues to run.
> I remember that in past I needed to use nohup, but in last years I didn't
> need it anymore.
>
> Is the SSH connection a special case but it doesn't work when using a real
> bash console directly?

Sounds like the huponexit is not set in your shell:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21294283/when-did-hup-stop-getting-sent-and-what-can-i-do-about-it

/L

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
Thanks. The conclusion is that if huponexit is set to false we can simply run processes in background appending & at the end of the command line.
So we don't need tmux nor screen unless we need other features offered by them.

--Octavian

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
I would say having HUPONEXIT false would be the more exotic feature set in
this case. tmux is actually a very good low rent low traffic short
lifespan application deployment strategy ;).

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
If all you want is to start a process and leave, then huponexit and/or
nohup+background are fine.
If you want to start a process (event in the foreground) and leave it
running while you detatch, and come back later to the same session, then
tmux is the way to go.

You can learn enough tmux to be dangerous in ten minutes. The only
features of ti that i use are window splitting, session detach, and session
attach.

Re: Keep Plack -r working when commandline closed...? [ In reply to ]
I'm wondering why you not just use an init script or systemd service unit to start/stop/restart your app?

Best regards, Alex

<http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/>http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/

Len Jaffe - Information Technology Smoke Jumper - <mailto:lenjaffe@jaffesystems.com> lenjaffe@jaffesystems.com<mailto:lenjaffe@jaffesystems.com>
614-404-4214<tel:614-404-4214> @LenJaffe<https://www.twitter.com/lenJaffe> <http://www.lenjaffe.com/> www.lenjaffe.com<http://www.lenjaffe.com>