Mailing List Archive

phpBB2 2.0.22 Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability
Opencosmo Security
http://www.opencosmo.com

Author: Alfredo Panzera, Opencosmo Security
Vendor: phpBB.com
Version: 2.0.22

Exploit:
Go to http://[website]/forum/admin/admin_groups.php and into 'Group description:' insert your XSS.
Re: phpBB2 2.0.22 Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability [ In reply to ]
This exploit is a non-issue. It assumes that you have access to the admin panel. At some point we have to trust that you are a real admin and not a malicious user.

HTML is allowed in some parts of the ACP due to the fact that BBCode is not parsed in these areas.

I would encourage anyone finding a possible vulnerability in phpBB to report it properly at our security tracker ( http://www.phpbb.com/security/ ), or e-mail it to security at phpbb.com

NeoThermic
phpBB Support Team, Audit Team and Incident Investigation Team Leader
Re: Re: phpBB2 2.0.22 Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability [ In reply to ]
First of all, I have NOT verified this. But...

>This exploit is a non-issue. It assumes that you >have access to the admin panel. At some point we >have to trust that you are a real admin and not a >malicious user.
An attacker hasn't got access to the ACP, but that's perhaps not required at all. Imagine if an attacker persuades the admin to visit a page while he is logged in the ACP. The real admin would maybe follow that link and in the background the XSS page will be contacted. (ajax?)
This could be enough.

But again, I have NOT verified this issue.

best regards

[R]
[batznet-security group]
Re: phpBB2 2.0.22 Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability [ In reply to ]
This is why browsers block cross-domain AJAX by default. Added to the fact that any action in the ACP requires the SID means that your attack via AJAX would fail.

AW: phpBB2 2.0.22 Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability [ In reply to ]
Why don't you just fix it?
The fact, that this field ist not properly sanitised means that u don't check all fields by default.

so it may not be an exploitable software bug, but it is a development error...