Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Building Text::Iconv on Mac OS 10.2.x
Sorry to jump right in with a build question, but I've been unable to
get the config script for Text::Iconv to recognize the libiconv I built
and installed into /usr/local/lib. And that's after applying the patch
to Makefile.PL.

I continue to get undefined symbol errors when testing it.

-- whump

Re: [Bricolage-General] Building Text::Iconv on Mac OS 10.2.x [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 10:01 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:

> Sorry to jump right in with a build question, but I've been unable to
> get the config script for Text::Iconv to recognize the libiconv I
> built and installed into /usr/local/lib. And that's after applying the
> patch to Makefile.PL.
>
> I continue to get undefined symbol errors when testing it.

Hi Whump,

You need to add '-liconv' to the 'LIBS' argument to WriteMakefile
function call in Text::Iconv's Makefile.PL. This one-liner should do
the trick:

perl -i.bak -p -e "s/'LIBS'\s*=>\s*\[''\]/'LIBS' => \['-liconv'\]/" \
Makefile.PL

Or did you try that already? It's documented in README.MacOSX.

HTH,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@kineticode.com ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] Building Text::Iconv on Mac OS 10.2.x [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 10:20 PM, David Wheeler wrote:

> Or did you try that already? It's documented in README.MacOSX.

Yes, I've applied that patch to Makefile.PL. I tried this with libiconv
1.8 and 1.7 to see if the interface had changed. I'm trying to build
Text::Iconv 1.2.

-- whump

Re: [Bricolage-General] Building Text::Iconv on Mac OS 10.2.x [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 12:52 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:

> Yes, I've applied that patch to Makefile.PL. I tried this with
> libiconv 1.8 and 1.7 to see if the interface had changed. I'm trying
> to build Text::Iconv 1.2.

Did you happen to build Perl in /usr/local before you built anything
else there (including libiconv)? If so, then Perl doesn't know to look
in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include when it's building libraries.
This is why README.MacOSX suggests building libiconv, expat, etc.,
before building Perl.

Anyway, the solution to this problem is, once you've built some stuff
in /usr/local and /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include exist, then you
need to rebuild Perl.

HTH,

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Building Text::Iconv on Mac OS 10.2.x [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 10:03 AM, David Wheeler wrote:

> On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 12:52 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:
>
>> Yes, I've applied that patch to Makefile.PL. I tried this with
>> libiconv 1.8 and 1.7 to see if the interface had changed. I'm trying
>> to build Text::Iconv 1.2.
>
> Did you happen to build Perl in /usr/local before you built anything
> else there (including libiconv)? If so, then Perl doesn't know to look
> in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include when it's building libraries.
> This is why README.MacOSX suggests building libiconv, expat, etc.,
> before building Perl.

I rebuilt it in /usr, using the Darwin layout before building the
shared libraries. Unfortunately, when I went back from scratch and
rebuilt Perl using the Darwin layout, I still ran into the libiconv
problem.

> Anyway, the solution to this problem is, once you've built some stuff
> in /usr/local and /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include exist, then
> you need to rebuild Perl.

I'm going to have to build a separate perl in /usr/local. Which is
frustrating, because I'd prefer to have one Perl on the system, but
that's the breaks.

-- whump

Re: [Bricolage-General] Building Text::Iconv on Mac OS 10.2.x [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 07:36 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:

> I'm going to have to build a separate perl in /usr/local. Which is
> frustrating, because I'd prefer to have one Perl on the system, but
> that's the breaks.

My understanding is that Mac OS X has some stuff that relies on its own
install of Perl, so it's best to install yours in a separate location
and leave the old 5.6.0 perl alone.

Use my MacDevCenter articles to help with the process:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/11/05/apache_osx.html
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/12/18/apache_modssl.html
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/11/05/apache_osx.html

They don't cover libiconv, but they cover most of the other essentials.

HTH,

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Building Text::Iconv on Mac OS 10.2.x [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 08:07 PM, David Wheeler wrote:

> Use my MacDevCenter articles to help with the process:
>
> http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/11/05/apache_osx.html
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/12/18/apache_modssl.html
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/11/05/apache_osx.html

Oops. That last URL should have been:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/02/07/libapreq_update.html

Note that this last article updates the instructions for installing
libapreq on Jaguar, where it can now be used as a dynamic library as on
other platforms, rather than statically compiling it into Apache.

Regards,

David