Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] updating media
I went through David's little tutorial on how to create dynamic content
("SSI's") and it works fine, but now I have a question.

When I update that media element (i.e. edit the script), I download it, edit
it, then re-upload it. Then I deploy it, but the change doesn't seem to
"take" in any of the pages that use it unless I re-deploy the page(s) that
use it. Needless to say, this could get really time-consuming on a
large site.

What am I doing wrong?

__END__

Dan Kreft
Perl Hacker <><
Intranet Technologies

"One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

Re: [Bricolage-General] updating media [ In reply to ]
On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 11:35 AM, D.Kreft wrote:

> I went through David's little tutorial on how to create dynamic content
> ("SSI's") and it works fine, but now I have a question.
>
> When I update that media element (i.e. edit the script), I download
> it, edit
> it, then re-upload it. Then I deploy it, but the change doesn't seem to
> "take" in any of the pages that use it unless I re-deploy the page(s)
> that
> use it. Needless to say, this could get really time-consuming on a
> large site.

I assume you mean "publish", since media and stories are published.
Only templates are "deployed".

> What am I doing wrong?

Well, if your includes are executed at burn time, the stories of course
won't be updated until you republish them. I actually recommend that
you use Bricolage 1.5.0's utility templates for this.

If your SSIs are getting executed at delivery time -- that is, by the
server to which you've distributed the SSIs and the stories that use
them -- then I'm not so sure. Could your browser be caching previous
versions of the pages or something?

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory