Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Dependence on statically compiled mod_perl
Hi!

I've been trying to install Bricolage on my system, but it is
temporarily paused because I'm having problems compiling apache with
mod_perl and activating DSO at the same time.

told that it needs mod_perl statically compiled with apache.

My question is:
Would it be too hard to overcome this and make Bricolage work with
mod_perl as DSO?

Have a nice weekend,
Sérgio Nunes

Re: [Bricolage-General] Dependence on statically compiled mod_perl [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Sérgio Nunes wrote:
> Would it be too hard to overcome this and make Bricolage work with
> mod_perl as DSO?

I think the problem is not with Bricolage but with mod_perl.
Bricolage doesn't care whether mod_perl is statically or
dynamically compiled into httpd.

Re: [Bricolage-General] Dependence on statically compiled mod_perl [ In reply to ]
On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 11:28 AM, Scott Lanning wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Sérgio Nunes wrote:
>> Would it be too hard to overcome this and make Bricolage work with
>> mod_perl as DSO?
>
> I think the problem is not with Bricolage but with mod_perl.
> Bricolage doesn't care whether mod_perl is statically or
> dynamically compiled into httpd.

This is correct. Bricolage cares only to the extent that mod_perl does,
and it's widely known that DSO mod_perl has stability problems,
particularly with Mason.

This issue has been fixed in mod_perl2, but it's going to be quite a
while before mod_perl is finally released, and even longer before
Bricolage gets ported.

Sorry, but static mod_perl is your best best.

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@kineticode.com ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] Dependence on statically compiled mod_perl [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 06:28:38PM +0000, S?rgio Nunes wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been trying to install Bricolage on my system, but it is
> temporarily paused because I'm having problems compiling apache with
> mod_perl and activating DSO at the same time.

> told that it needs mod_perl statically compiled with apache.

I've been trying out bricolage without any problem on apache without
mod_perl statically linked, and we also use Request Tracker (also Mason)
on the same machine, without any problems. But I do keep hearing about
how the statically-linked apache is more reliable, and I have had some
unexplained problems on my home machine with the dynamically linked
version. So if you've got the option, go for the dynamically linked
alternative, if only to eliminate one potential cause of problems.

--

--- Geoff Richards -------------><-------------- http://ungwe.org/ ---
"I tried to fling my shadow at the moon,

Re: [Bricolage-General] Dependence on statically compiled mod_perl [ In reply to ]
On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 02:59 PM, Geoff Richards wrote:

> version. So if you've got the option, go for the dynamically linked
> alternative, if only to eliminate one potential cause of problems.

You meant statically linked, yes?

David

Re: [Bricolage-General] Dependence on statically compiled mod_perl [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 03:08:11PM -0800, David Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 02:59 PM, Geoff Richards wrote:
>
> >version. So if you've got the option, go for the dynamically linked
> >alternative, if only to eliminate one potential cause of problems.
>
> You meant statically linked, yes?

Yes... a few beers and it's hard to tell the difference...