Mailing List Archive

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] RE: [Bricolage-General] Element Redesign Feedback Requested
On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 10:55 AM, Andrew Baio wrote:

> Lil' Davy Wheeler wrote:

Who???!!!

>> How do you feel about having "Story" and "Media" merged into
>> the single concept of a "Document" in Bricolage? How will this
>> hurt/help how you work with Bricolage in the future?
>
> From a programming perspective, it makes sense to
> remove redundant code and merge the two together.
>
> But from a UI perspective, this sort of abstraction
> complicates the interface and functionality for
> end users.
>
> Now, media and story use different workflows, are
> entered in by different users (e.g. art directors vs
> editors), and can easily be browsed and searched
> separately.
>
> If they're merged, will they share the same desks?

By default, yes. But it might make sense to later redesign the Workflow
system to allow you to specify that only certain types of documents (as
defined by document definitions that you create) can be managed in a
particular workflow.

To draw on the current terminology, if you create a type "Illustration"
and a type "Opinion Piece", when you create a workflow, you can select
that only Illustration documents be managed there, or only "Opinion
Pieces". The advantage here is that the developers no longer impose the
arbitrary distinction between story and media on you. You can create as
many different types as you like.

> Will the permission system support limiting access
> to different types of documents?

Yes, as it does now, in fact.

> And will the
> search interface provide an intuitive way to filter
> out different element types?

Yes. This could be added now with a very little code, actually.

> I'm inclined to keep the distinction intact. Media
> and Stories may be the same to a programmer, but
> they're very different beasts to the end user.

Right, but I want to give you, the element administrator, the ability
to determine what's what, and how they differ.

I hope that makes it a little clearer -- and thanks for your feedback,
I really appreciate it!

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory