Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Newbie question: bric_apachectl start: httpd could not be started?
I've just installed bricolage 1.4.5, and when I tried to run "bric_apachectl start" and received the following message

bric_apachectl start: starting httpd
[Wed Nov 20 15:24:29 2002] [warn] module mod_perl.c is already added, skipping
[Wed Nov 20 15:24:29 2002] [warn] module mod_log_config.c is already added, skipping
[Wed Nov 20 15:24:29 2002] [warn] module mod_mime.c is already added, skipping
[Wed Nov 20 15:24:29 2002] [warn] module mod_alias.c is already added, skipping
bric_apachectl start: httpd could not be started

I'm running on FreeBSD 4.6 with apache 1.3.27, perl v5.6.1, and postgresql 7.2.1

The install went fine once I got working versions of apache, mod_perl, and postgres.
I do not have any custom apache configurations, etc. I'm just setting this up as a test to play around with Bricolage (which, btw, I heard about through eweek). So I didn't bother with ssl either.

I did try changing the MANUAL_APACHE directive in bricolage.conf to
PerlModule Bric::App::ApacheStartup and then set it to use the standard apache config file. The server starts fine, but I just get a directory listing (I'm assuming becuase I used the standard apache config file and it doesn't include the bricolage setup info.)

Also, I don't really get anything useful in the error_log except "can't determine server's fully qualified host name" which I wouldn't think should affect anything.

If I append the following to the standard httpd.conf file:
PerlPassEnv BRICOLAGE_ROOT
PerlModule Bric::App::ApacheConfig

I just get "bric_apachectl start: httpd could not be started"

I'm pretty new to the whole *nix environment (getting all the requriements installed took a while, but I managed to get everything.. I think- anyways, make and make install for bricolage seemed to go without a hitch...) Any pointers/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bucky

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

www.hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated
Re: [Bricolage-General] Newbie question: bric_apachectl start: httpd could not be started? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 08:38 AM, Bucky Jordan wrote:

> I've just installed bricolage 1.4.5, and when I tried to run
> "bric_apachectl start" and received the following message
>
> bric_apachectl start: starting httpd
> [Wed Nov 20 15:24:29 2002] [warn] module mod_perl.c is already added,
> skipping
> [Wed Nov 20 15:24:29 2002] [warn] module mod_log_config.c is already
> added, skipping
> [Wed Nov 20 15:24:29 2002] [warn] module mod_mime.c is already added,
> skipping
> [Wed Nov 20 15:24:29 2002] [warn] module mod_alias.c is already added,
> skipping
> bric_apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> I'm running on FreeBSD 4.6 with apache 1.3.27, perl v5.6.1, and
> postgresql 7.2.1

Remove the httpd.conf directives that load the above modules a second
time and see if that helps.

>  The install went fine once I got working versions of apache,
> mod_perl, and postgres.
> I do not have any custom apache configurations, etc. I'm just setting
> this up as a test to play around with Bricolage (which, btw, I heard
> about through eweek). So I didn't bother with ssl either.

Cool. Note that you *must* be using Bricolage with mod_perl statically
compiled into Apache. Weird shit happens if mod_perl loads as a DSO.

> I did try changing the MANUAL_APACHE directive in bricolage.conf to
> PerlModule Bric::App::ApacheStartup and then set it to use the
> standard apache config file. The server starts fine, but I just get a
> directory listing (I'm assuming becuase I used the standard apache
> config file and it doesn't include the bricolage setup info.)

Yeah, you need to do a lot more. You need to get your hands on the
custom httpd.conf stuff that Bricolage generates, and then include all
that in your httpd.conf. You can start it up with MANUAL_APACHE on and
using Bric::App::ApacheConfig. Then shut it down, copy the contents of
/tmp/bricolage/bric_httpd.conf into your own httpd.conf, then have your
httpd.conf use Bric::App::ApacheStartup again. Consult Bric::Admin
(a.k.a. INSTALL) for a little more detail.

> Also, I don't really get anything useful in the error_log except
> "can't determine server's fully qualified host name" which I wouldn't
> think should affect anything.

No, probably not.

> If I append the following to the standard httpd.conf file:
> PerlPassEnv BRICOLAGE_ROOT
> PerlModule Bric::App::ApacheConfig
>
> I just get "bric_apachectl start: httpd could not be started"
>
> I'm pretty new to the whole *nix environment (getting all the
> requriements installed took a while, but I managed to get everything..
> I think- anyways, make and make install for bricolage seemed to go
> without a hitch...) Any pointers/help would be greatly appreciated.

Try the above, esp. the static mod_perl, and see if it helps.

Good luck,

David

David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394