Mailing List Archive

Create a non-global admin for site who can create groups
Hello everyone

First post - apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere. I've
been reading and rereading the Security docs
http://bricolagecms.org/docs/2.0/api/Bric/Security.html#Authorization and
am still having trouble with creating non-global admins

I'm trying to create a "regional" admin group that's a level below global
admins - that is, members of this group would have access to only one
regional site (I made a group for all that site's groups) and would be able
to add and edit users only within this regional group. I'm stuck on one
issue: I can't get these regional admins to be able to create groups and
also assign users to their newly created groups. The regional admins can't
assign themselves to the groups they create, so they never get the edit
power for those groups.

1.) Is this possible? Or can only global admins create groups and assign
users?

2.) Following the steps in on the security page, I do this:

1. as global admin, create regional admin group. assign this group the
permission to Create All groups, Edit regional groups, Create All users and
edit regional users.
2. Create user and add user to regional admin group.
3. Log in as regional admin. Create a user group. Add user group to
"regional groups" group. There's no option to add users to this group or
edit the permissions of the group I've just created.
4. On my profile page as the regional admin, the newly created group is
grayed out and is not available to be added to my groups.

If I log in as global admin and then add the regional admin to the group,
then regional admin can then add members to the group himself, although he
still can't access the Permissions screen for the group or change access to
it on the regional admin group > Permissions screen.

Is there any way to configure group permissions so that a non-global admin
can both create groups and add himself to the newly created groups?

thanks,

Clare
Re: Create a non-global admin for site who can create groups [ In reply to ]
On 2012-09-18, at 4:28 PM, Clare Parkinson <clare.parkinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> First post

Welcome.

> - apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere. I've
> been reading and rereading the Security docs
> http://bricolagecms.org/docs/2.0/api/Bric/Security.html#Authorization

You may also want to read/watch http://www.phillipadsmith.com/2008/04/bricolage-permissions-101.html

I'm not 100% following what you're hoping to do, but I might recommend having two different browsers open at the same time -- e.g., Firefox logged in as 'Global Admin and Chrome as 'Regional Admin' -- and experiment with the various permissions like that.

Otherwise, it would help if you can explain what you're hoping to achieve a bit more clearly… are the 'Regional Groups' that you're creating User Groups?

Phillip.

--
Phillip Smith
http://phillipadsmith.com

If your email inbox is out of control, check out http://sanebox.com/t/s0q7m

Re: Create a non-global admin for site who can create groups [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the advice, Phillip.

I will try to explain more clearly: I want to create a user who can create
groups and add newly created users to those groups, but who is not a global
admin.

I have these permissions configured:

"Regional admin users" user group has permissions:

- All Groups - Create
- "Regional groups" group - Edit
- All Users - Create
- "Regional users" users group - Edit

Whatever I do, I can't get a member of the "Regional admin users" user
group to create a group and then be able to assign users to it. The
"Regional admin user" member can't assign herself to her newly created
group, so she can't administer it. Having the new group added to the
"Regional groups" group doesn't seem to help.

I've come up with a workaround: having the global admin create a whole
bunch of temporary groups of various types (e.g. "Regional users group temp
1", "Regional workflow group temp 1") and assign a member of "Regional
admin users" to each temporary group. Then the "Regional admin user" member
can rename the groups, add and edit users, etc. I've only done one test,
but I think that might work. The global admin will have to help set up all
the temporary groups, but once they're in the hopper the regional admin can
do whatever she needs to with them.

If that sounds broken and/or ludicrous, let me know.

thanks for the help and moral support!

-clare

On 2012-09-18, at 4:28 PM, Clare Parkinson <clare.parkinson [at] gmail>
wrote:

> First post

Welcome.

Re: Create a non-global admin for site who can create groups [ In reply to ]
Hi Clare,

It doesn't sound as straightforward as it should, but if you have a solution that is working all I can say is "carry on!" :)

Phillip.;

Re: Create a non-global admin for site who can create groups [ In reply to ]
On Sep 21, 2012, at 12:57 PM, Clare Parkinson <clare.parkinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Regional admin users" user group has permissions:
>
> - All Groups - Create
> - "Regional groups" group - Edit
> - All Users - Create
> - "Regional users" users group - Edit
>
> Whatever I do, I can't get a member of the "Regional admin users" user
> group to create a group and then be able to assign users to it. The
> "Regional admin user" member can't assign herself to her newly created
> group, so she can't administer it. Having the new group added to the
> "Regional groups" group doesn't seem to help.

One should not be a member of a group to administer it. Sounds vaguely like a bug, though I haven’t looked at permissions in so long that there might be a very good reason for it to be the way it is.

> I've come up with a workaround: having the global admin create a whole
> bunch of temporary groups of various types (e.g. "Regional users group temp
> 1", "Regional workflow group temp 1") and assign a member of "Regional
> admin users" to each temporary group. Then the "Regional admin user" member
> can rename the groups, add and edit users, etc. I've only done one test,
> but I think that might work. The global admin will have to help set up all
> the temporary groups, but once they're in the hopper the regional admin can
> do whatever she needs to with them.
>
> If that sounds broken and/or ludicrous, let me know.

Not broken, certainly ludicrous. Bricolage should not make you have to work so bloody hard to do this. But yeah, as Phillip says, if it works, by all means do it. It definitely sounds like a valid workaround.

Just so this doesn't fall through the cracks, would you mind filing a bug report describing this issue?

http://bricolage.lighthouseapp.com/

Thanks!

David