Mailing List Archive

Contributor order and roles
Hi everybody,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a quirk of the installation. Here's how
to reproduce the behaviour I'm seeing:

1. Make a new story.
2. Add several contributors. Order them in the contributor popup.
3. Check in the story.
4. Check out the story.
5. Re-order the contributors.
6. Save or save and stay. (The new order of contribs will be preserved.)
7. Check in the story, then check it out. (The contrib order will have
reverted to the one from the first checkin.)

So far it just sounds like a bug. But the "Roles" pulldown beside each
contrib is completely blank, and I can't for the life of me figure out
how to edit a contributor role. So maybe something is wrong with this
install.

(This is Bricolage 2.0.1.)

Anyway, can anybody else reproduce this?

Thanks,

Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On Jul 11, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> 1. Make a new story.
> 2. Add several contributors. Order them in the contributor popup.
> 3. Check in the story.
> 4. Check out the story.
> 5. Re-order the contributors.
> 6. Save or save and stay. (The new order of contribs will be preserved.)
> 7. Check in the story, then check it out. (The contrib order will have
> reverted to the one from the first checkin.)

Bug.

> So far it just sounds like a bug. But the "Roles" pulldown beside each
> contrib is completely blank, and I can't for the life of me figure out
> how to edit a contributor role. So maybe something is wrong with this
> install.

You should be able to edit contributor roles by editing individual contributors in the admin section.

Best,

David
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]

Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 16:25 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> Bug.

OK. I'll file it tonight.

> You should be able to edit contributor roles by editing individual contributors in the admin section.

Hm. In the contributor profile, I only have three sections:

1. Properties
2. Contacts
3. Custom fields (This is just a header, with no interface widgets
underneath.)

Does that sound like a bug as well, or something corrupted locally?

Best,

Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 16:25 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> Bug.

OK. I'll file it tonight.

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On Jul 11, 2011, at 4:38 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> Hm. In the contributor profile, I only have three sections:
>
> 1. Properties
> 2. Contacts
> 3. Custom fields (This is just a header, with no interface widgets
> underneath.)
>

> Does that sound like a bug as well, or something corrupted locally?

You need to add custom fields to the contributor type. If you don't need custom fields, then don't bother. :-)

David
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
So custom contributor fields are roles?

Sorry, feeling terribly dim. I just wonder if my lack of roles is
related to the ordering problem.

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On Jul 11, 2011, at 4:50 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> So custom contributor fields are roles?

Not quite. You create a role for a contributor type, and then you can create custom fields for that role. IIRC.

> Sorry, feeling terribly dim. I just wonder if my lack of roles is
> related to the ordering problem.

It's not.

Best,

David
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
I've filed bug #273, but now I'm suspicious this is a local thing again.

I tried to reproduce the bug on a local checkout of the master branch,
and I can't. The contributor ordering here seems to just work.

In the list of contributors in the local checkout, under the "roles"
heading, I see just the word "Default."

In the install showing the problem, instead of the word "Default," there
is a pulldown menu with nothing in it. No options at all.

Can anyone suggest something I should try at this point?

Thanks so much,

Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On 2011-07-12, at 4:20 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> I tried to reproduce the bug on a local checkout of the master branch,
> and I can't. The contributor ordering here seems to just work.

On the 2.0.1 installation where the bug shows itself: was it an upgrade? Either a 2.0.0 -> 2.0.1 or particularly an upgrade from 1.10.x?
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
Hi Greg,

It was an upgrade. From 1.10.7, I think.

I can't even find the UI for contributor roles. Do you know where to
look?

Cheers,

Bret

Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On Jul 12, 2011, at 1:25 PM, Greg Heo wrote:

>> I tried to reproduce the bug on a local checkout of the master branch,
>> and I can't. The contributor ordering here seems to just work.
>
> On the 2.0.1 installation where the bug shows itself: was it an upgrade? Either a 2.0.0 -> 2.0.1 or particularly an upgrade from 1.10.x?

Also, are they both configured for multiple sites?

David
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
> Also, are they both configured for multiple sites?

No, they're both single-site installs.

--Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On Jul 12, 2011, at 1:26 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> It was an upgrade. From 1.10.7, I think.
>
> I can't even find the UI for contributor roles. Do you know where to
> look?

Nick asked a couple weeks ago, too; I haven't had time to check yet. Will in the next day or two (moving a Bricolage instance).

David
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On 7/12/2011 4:26 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:
> It was an upgrade. From 1.10.7, I think.
>
> I can't even find the UI for contributor roles. Do you know where to
> look?
I would note that the master branch differs somewhat from the 2.0.1
release. I also pointed out a while back that I cannot find a way to
edit/view/doanythingatall with Contributor Roles on my install (2.0.1).
I'm not sure if it's just me failing to look in the right place(s).

-Nick
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
Hi Nick,

I'm pretty familiar with the UI, so I'm beginning to wonder if this
particular piece has taken a holiday for the 2.0.1 release.

Sorry I didn't notice your earlier post about that.

--Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
OK, I've found it, at least on the local install.

In the contributor search results screen, there is a link labeled "New"
in between "Edit" and "Log," which allows me to add a role to a
contributor.

On the upgrade, this link does not appear for any of the contributors,
but I don't remember it from the pre-upgrade install either.

Interestingly, on an older install I work with (1.10.3), the link
appears for some contributors, but not for all. It appears that only the
ones offering the link have the "Default" role.

For these, the contributor profile shows two extra sections: one lists
custom fields for the "Default" role. (It's an empty list, but it's
there.) The next section is for switching roles. But there's only one in
the system, "Default," so it's just text instead of a label.

So it looks as if some contribs have the default role, and some don't,
and only the ones that have the default have the option of adding any
others.

I've never used roles and don't have any idea what roles are for, but
I'm stuck on the idea that there's some connection between the absence
of the default role and the ordering bug. Probably unlikely, but
considering the bug is otherwise un-reproduceable, I don't have many
trees to bark up.

Cheers,

Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On Jul 12, 2011, at 2:22 PM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> For these, the contributor profile shows two extra sections: one lists
> custom fields for the "Default" role. (It's an empty list, but it's
> there.) The next section is for switching roles. But there's only one in
> the system, "Default," so it's just text instead of a label.
>
> So it looks as if some contribs have the default role, and some don't,
> and only the ones that have the default have the option of adding any
> others.

Please see my (long overdue) reply to Nick in the "Contributor Types and Roles" thread.

I've never used roles and don't have any idea what roles are for, but
> I'm stuck on the idea that there's some connection between the absence
> of the default role and the ordering bug. Probably unlikely, but
> considering the bug is otherwise un-reproduceable, I don't have many
> trees to bark up.

Yeah, I don't think this is related.

Best,

David
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
Hi everybody,

I have a fix for my problem!

I'm totally baffled here, but it really does look as if the ordering
trouble I was having was roles-related.

I only had one contributor type, "Member organizations." (I had deleted
the default Writers and Illustrators.)

This new contributor type did not have any custom fields defined. Once I
figured out how roles were mapped in the database, I realized I could
re-enable the "Default" role by adding a new custom field.

I then edited and saved several contributors, which gave them (empty)
records in the member_grp_val table.

Now, when contributors appear in the story profile, those with the new
field show "Default" as the role. The ones I haven't changed yet still
show the empty pulldown menu.

When the list of contributors attached to a story is made up only of
updated ones, ordering works perfectly, and survives through checkins.

(If I use contibutors I still have not touched, the
lose-the-ordering-on-checkin behaviour continues.)

I think the takeaway lesson is that you need at least one field defined
in a contributor type.

I'll update the bug record. Now that I'm elbow deep in contributors, I
might be able to help fix it.

Best,

Bret

--
Bret Dawson
Producer
Re: Contributor order and roles [ In reply to ]
On Jul 13, 2011, at 9:52 AM, Bret Dawson wrote:

> (If I use contibutors I still have not touched, the
> lose-the-ordering-on-checkin behaviour continues.)
>
> I think the takeaway lesson is that you need at least one field defined
> in a contributor type.

That's just brokenated, then.

> I'll update the bug record. Now that I'm elbow deep in contributors, I
> might be able to help fix it.

Thanks,

David