Denison University
740.587.5752
---------------------------------
Re: Trail vs. Log [ In reply to ]
On Apr 12, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Aaron Fuleki wrote:

> I think it would be much more useful to just make it a "Log" link and show the full asset event log. If users want to filter it, they now have that option, which is sweet.

Is there not still also a "Log" link?

> I'm also rewriting some docs which explain the whole versioning and reverting concept. A 'history' link next to the revert button (showing a log filtered on check in events) would be an excellent way to create a meaningful context for the revert function.

You can select to diff previous versions right there, no?

David
Re: Trail vs. Log [ In reply to ]
>> I think it would be much more useful to just make it a "Log" link and show the full asset event log. If users want to filter it, they now have that option, which is sweet.
>
> Is there not still also a "Log" link?

On the workspace view, yes. I was talking about the profile view, when editing an asset. I'm trying to get an idea if anyone else's users also ignore/misunderstand the "Trail" link, or if that's mostly an artifact of our docs, training, and workflow configuration.

>> I'm also rewriting some docs which explain the whole versioning and reverting concept. A 'history' link next to the revert button (showing a log filtered on check in events) would be an excellent way to create a meaningful context for the revert function.
>
> You can select to diff previous versions right there, no?

Yeah, but a history view would show a simple list of names and timestamps. That's hella more context than a list of version numbers, and easier than clicking back and forth on a bunch of diff screens. We have some stories with hundreds of versions, so diff'ing can take ages.

In general, I'm trying to think of cheap & easy ways to give the profile view richer context, so users have an easier time with things. Feel free to shoot down bad ideas ;-)

-Aaron

---------------------------------
Aaron Fuleki
Senior Web Architect
Denison University
740.587.5752
Re: Trail vs. Log [ In reply to ]
On Apr 12, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Aaron Fuleki wrote:

> On the workspace view, yes. I was talking about the profile view, when editing an asset. I'm trying to get an idea if anyone else's users also ignore/misunderstand the "Trail" link, or if that's mostly an artifact of our docs, training, and workflow configuration.

Okay.

> Yeah, but a history view would show a simple list of names and timestamps. That's hella more context than a list of version numbers, and easier than clicking back and forth on a bunch of diff screens. We have some stories with hundreds of versions, so diff'ing can take ages.

It shouldn't. But the select list could have timestamps added to it. I think that makes sense. Would that do?

> In general, I'm trying to think of cheap & easy ways to give the profile view richer context, so users have an easier time with things. Feel free to shoot down bad ideas ;-)

Sure. And don't worry, I will. So far nothing bad, though.

David