in addition to the contributor object they already have.

regards
Gabor, a Bricolage newbie
Re: What is the relationship between Users and Contributors? [ In reply to ]
On May 31, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> The latter don't have usernames so I guess they cannot login and make changes.
> Are these people who send in stories or images but cannot directly add
> to the site?

Correct. They might be the same, but often aren't.

> In what situation would I prefer to have such Contributors instead of creating
> users with no access right? After all later on they might become people who
> are working on the site directly and then I'll need to create a user for them,
> in addition to the contributor object they already have.

Under the hood contributors are Bric::Biz::Person objects (encapsulated by Bric::Util::Grp::Parts::Member::Contrib -- don't ask), and Bric::Biz::Person::User inherits from Person. So it's possible for one person to be used for both contributor and person, and that was the original intent. But no one has ever really demanded it, so the interface to ensure that can work that way in the UI was never implemented.

Best,

David
Re: What is the relationship between Users and Contributors? [ In reply to ]
On May 31, 2010, at 5:33 PM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> wrote:
> In what situation would I prefer to have such Contributors instead of creating
> users with no access right? After all later on they might become people who
> are working on the site directly and then I'll need to create a user for them,
> in addition to the contributor object they already have.

My magazine has published thousands of authors in the past 85 years, most of whom are long dead. Most of those published works are available on our website, which means that we define them as contributors...but there's no danger of them needing to log in from beyond the grave. :)

Best,
Waldo