For the last few months, I've continued to think about either things I would have done differently, mostly along the lines of story and element modeling. Working with the Commonspot CMS has given me a different perspective on some things, and I want to make sure I put those thoughts on record before I forget. At first I was just going to e-mail Mike and Aaron, but then I thought others on the list might be able to benefit, too. Anyway:

1) Cut back on the story types. At Denison we had/have a standard page template, and then specialty templates for things like press releases (two types!), online forms, photo galleries, and tutorials.

The standard page was by far the most versatile, and by far the most used. When working with Commonspot, which among other limitations can't associate elements with a certain page type, I started thinking about the idea of a "super-Standard-Page" where almost every element or layout is available in the same story type that gets used 95% of the time. We were really concerned about enforcing layout when we built our story types, but the fact of the matter is that for a general page, users want to be able to mix and match elements as they need them on the page, and we ended up having to add in elements to specialty pages that we did not anticipate.

Obviously that doesn't work for everything. Things like a staff bio, or even a press release, or anything that has required, custom fields will need its own story type. But by the time I left, our tutorial story type was horribly redundant, as was our photo gallery story type. and I think the next time around I'd be more open to making the "Standard Page" even more versatile than we did.

2) Build a versatile Page Index Element - Using the Bric example templates, we created a custom Page Index story for each instance that we needed, each with its own template code. However, I think it makes a lot of sense to build a Page Index element that can be used with a wide variety of story types. We had custom fields for teaser elements, what we should have done is just used the description field that was already there. Then you could have a simple page index element that can be put on a standard page with various configuration options, and, using a code select field, work with multiple story types. Seeing the Page Index Element in Commonspot gave me the idea for this, and I think it would be fairly straightforward to implement in Bricolage.

3) Have a utility template for links. We had different template code for the links in our side navs, in-line text links, and other places as well. When I left we had the thought that it would be good to build out our link elements with the same or similar fields and used one utility template to output markup for them all.

Those are the things on my mind at the moment. I'd love to hear from anyone else who wants to share document modeling tips!

-Matt
Re: Things you wish you'd done with your Story Types and Elements [ In reply to ]
Hi Matt!

I would agree with you on first two points (as few story types as possible,
and rich cover page. As for number 3, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
A link to me can have a background image, a bullet and a label in any combination.
Furthermore a link can be dynamic (link to current category's cover page) or static,
that is fixed link to some other site maybe.
So I have url.mc that figures out all of the possibilites.

Anyway I wanted to comment your point 2 (Versatile Page Index). I went even further.
In this system one can build template itself not only index (cover) story.
I wish there were template type too, not only story type. So, I have a special story
type Template, which has elements for patching up template itself. I have
implemented YUI 2 Grid Library in such a configurable manner, so that one can setup
a template with just a few clicks. Than there is a versatile page index with quite
a few elements for building cover pages. There is about fifty different elements,
but only two story types (three, really). Up until now I have build 10 different sites,
while having only one set of templates to maintain. Any changes
in design are made through Bric subelements. Bricolage is just perfect. The most beautiful
peace of software I've seen.

About document modeling I strongly advice to keep header, body, left or right hand, footer form.
The story resides in body, having also neck and tail. That's it.
Then the story (cover page) can be further patched from columns, insets, etc. but one
must grow a page primarily from its contents, then shape that content, rather then setting up
shape first and then stretching out for contents to fill in the shape.
My "golden rule": if it says nothing, it doesn't matter what shape and color it is. :)

Zdravko
Re: Things you wish you'd done with your Story Types and Elements [ In reply to ]
On 12-Mar-10, at 4:38 PM, Rolf, Matthew wrote:

> 2) Build a versatile Page Index Element - Using the Bric example
> templates, we created a custom Page Index story for each instance
> that we needed, each with its own template code. However, I think
> it makes a lot of sense to build a Page Index element that can be
> used with a wide variety of story types. We had custom fields for
> teaser elements, what we should have done is just used the
> description field that was already there. Then you could have a
> simple page index element that can be put on a standard page with
> various configuration options, and, using a code select field, work
> with multiple story types. Seeing the Page Index Element in
> Commonspot gave me the idea for this, and I think it would be fairly
> straightforward to implement in Bricolage.

I'm interested to hear more about these Page Index Elements: What do
you use them for? Are these what would also be called "Section Covers"
or "Section Pages," i.e., index pages that list other stories?

> 3) Have a utility template for links. We had different template
> code for the links in our side navs, in-line text links, and other
> places as well. When I left we had the thought that it would be good
> to build out our link elements with the same or similar fields and
> used one utility template to output markup for them all.

Have a look at David's "output_link.mc" template here:
http://github.com/bricoleurs/bricolagecms-templates/blob/master/templates/Library/util/xhtml/output_link.mc

I think that's close to what you're referring to, no?

On 16-Mar-10, at 7:36 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

> So, I have a special story
> type Template, which has elements for patching up template itself. I
> have
> implemented YUI 2 Grid Library in such a configurable manner, so
> that one can setup
> a template with just a few clicks. Than there is a versatile page
> index with quite
> a few elements for building cover pages. There is about fifty
> different elements,
> but only two story types (three, really). Up until now I have build
> 10 different sites,
> while having only one set of templates to maintain. Any changes
> in design are made through Bric subelements.

Screenshot? Sounds amazing! :-)

Great thread. Look forward to what others have to say.

Phillip.

--
Phillip Smith // Simplifier of Technology // COMMUNITY BANDWIDTH
www.communitybandwidth.ca // www.phillipadsmith.com
Re: Things you wish you'd done with your Story Types and Elements [ In reply to ]
Phillip Smith wrote:

>> different sites,
>> while having only one set of templates to maintain. Any changes
>> in design are made through Bric subelements.
>
> Screenshot? Sounds amazing! :-)
>
> Great thread. Look forward to what others have to say.

Hi, Phillip!
Here are two different sites. Both were made without a single
line of programming.

http://rs.med.over.net/ (unfinished site)
http://www.brezalkohola.si/

Template modelling deserves more attention and separately, DOM.
Taking yui-grid library is a good basis regarding form, but I must
confess I don't no much about typesetting, to which DOM is closely
related. And nowdays it seems difficult to find one, as everything
is wysiwyg...

Regards, Zdravko
Re: Things you wish you'd done with your Story Types and Elements [ In reply to ]

> http://rs.med.over.net/ (unfinished site)
> http://www.brezalkohola.si/
>
> Template modelling deserves more attention and separately, DOM.

Let me add another link:
http://aphaia.co.uk/ showing the variety in design while, as has been said
before, having only one set of templates.

I did't want to spoil this thread by bragging about my work. I'd love
to hear more comments on DOM and the art of typesetting.

Zdravko
Re: Things you wish you'd done with your Story Types and Elements [ In reply to ]
On Apr 19, 2010, at 5:33 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

>> http://rs.med.over.net/ (unfinished site)
>> http://www.brezalkohola.si/
>> Template modelling deserves more attention and separately, DOM.
>
> Let me add another link:
> http://aphaia.co.uk/ showing the variety in design while, as has been said
> before, having only one set of templates.

Nice.

> I did't want to spoil this thread by bragging about my work. I'd love
> to hear more comments on DOM and the art of typesetting.

Bragging welcome.

Best,

David