Mailing List Archive

Desks are responding very slowly
Hello,

We have noticed a sudden change in the time it takes for Desks to respond with results. When we click on a Desk for Media, Stories, or Templates, it takes an extremely long time for the list of results to appear, even if there are only 1 or 2 results. If I use phpPgAdmin to access our database directly and do a query of the 'story' table on the desk__id, it takes a fraction of a second. It is only in the Bricolage interface that it's taking a very long time.

This situation has come upon us very suddenly. It is not something that has gradually been getting longer and longer.

Does anyone have knowledge on how to resolve this?

Thank you,
Mike Fletcher
Re: Desks are responding very slowly [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike,

> We have noticed a sudden change in the time it takes for Desks to
> respond with results. When we click on a Desk for Media, Stories, or
> Templates, it takes an extremely long time for the list of results to
> appear, even if there are only 1 or 2 results. If I use phpPgAdmin to
> access our database directly and do a query of the 'story' table on the
> desk__id, it takes a fraction of a second. It is only in the Bricolage
> interface that it's taking a very long time.
>
> This situation has come upon us very suddenly. It is not something that
> has gradually been getting longer and longer.
>
> Does anyone have knowledge on how to resolve this?

Are you sure it's db related? Can you see the running query in postgres
while the page is hanging? Try using dbi trace to get the full query and
see if it's quick:

http://bricolagecms.org/docs/current/api/Bric/Hacker.html#DEBUGGING

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alex Krohn <alex@gossamer-threads.com>
Re: Desks are responding very slowly [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Fletcher, Michael
<mike.fletcher@cbs.com> wrote:
> We have noticed a sudden change in the time it takes for Desks to respond with results.  When we click on a Desk
> for Media, Stories, or Templates, it takes an extremely long time for the list of results to appear, even if there are
> only 1 or 2 results.  If I use phpPgAdmin to access our database directly and do a query of the 'story' table on
> the desk__id, it takes a fraction of a second.  It is only in the Bricolage interface that it's taking a very long time.

Desks join to other tables to get information about specific versions
of the stories/media (assets) and their permissions.

> This situation has come upon us very suddenly.  It is not something that has gradually been getting longer and longer.
>
> Does anyone have knowledge on how to resolve this?

Which version of Bricolage? (Alex and I probably have the same bug in mind.)
On the desk with 1 or 2 results, do any of the assets have a large
number of versions? If so, try cloning them and deleting the original.
[insert Standard Disclaimer]
Re: Desks are responding very slowly [ In reply to ]
On Dec 1, 2009, at 11:02 PM, lannings@gmail.com wrote:

> Which version of Bricolage? (Alex and I probably have the same bug in mind.)
> On the desk with 1 or 2 results, do any of the assets have a large
> number of versions? If so, try cloning them and deleting the original.

Better yet, create these indexes:

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX udx_story__story_instance
ON story_instance(story__id, version, checked_out);

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX udx_media__media_instance
ON media_instance(media__id, version, checked_out);

Or upgrade to 1.10.6 or higher and get those indexes as part of the upgrade.

Best,

David
RE: Desks are responding very slowly [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, December 01, 2009 11:28 PM David E. Wheeler wrote:

>CREATE UNIQUE INDEX udx_story__story_instance ON story_instance(story__id, version, checked_out);
>
>CREATE UNIQUE INDEX udx_media__media_instance ON media_instance(media__id, version, checked_out);
>
>Or upgrade to 1.10.6 or higher and get those indexes as part of the upgrade.

Thanks! Creating the INDEX's was the solution and we are upgrading to 1.10.7 very soon. Creating these indexes also revealed that we had duplicates in the *_instance tables, which we fixed.

Mike