So... here goes my questions, please chalk up the obvious ones to having seen too many CMS's already and being sick of trying to figure them out (but answer them anyway :-) )

Where is the site actually published? I know in the bric conf file the doc root is something like /usr/local/bricolage/comp which redirects me to admin, but where is the site actually published to? How do I set that. (theres the newbie question I warned you about, sorry, Im used to tomcat.)
What are the recommended minimum server requirements ?
Can more than one instance of Bricolage be installed on the same box?
Does Bricolage have built in ad handling capability?
Im a Java guy, and Perl makes my head hurt :-) Is there a code example repository anywhere?

Thank you and I look forward to learning Bricolage.

Dave
Re: [Bricolage-General] Newbie Introduction and a few questions [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, November 10, 2002, at 08:33 PM, David wrote:

> Where is the site actually published? I know in the bric conf file
> the  doc root is something like /usr/local/bricolage/comp which
> redirects me to admin, but where is the site actually published to?
> How do I set that. (theres the newbie question I warned you about,
> sorry, Im used to tomcat.)

Your site can be published to either a root on your file system, or via
FTP or SFTP to another box. You need to set up a "Destination" in the
"Distribution" admin section. Add a destination, add a server to it,
add a move action, and you'll be ready to go.

> What are the recommended minimum server requirements ?

As big as possible. Bricolage is a bit of a resource pig, especially if
you use the SOAP interface for much importing, exporting, or
publishing. You can run it on a laptop (that's where I do my
development), but a box with as much memory as you can get will be
optimal. I think I'd suggest a box with a 1Ghz processor and 1 GB of
RAM.

> Can more than one instance of Bricolage be installed on the same box?

Only if you have separate IP addresses on separate network cards and
separate Apache installations listening to each of them.

> Does Bricolage have built in ad handling capability?

You can add ad strings to categories, but that's about it. But because
templates are written in Perl, anything you can do in Perl you can do
in templates, including dynamically generate ad strings to pass to an
ad server.

> Im a Java guy, and Perl makes my head hurt :-) Is there a code example
> repository anywhere?

Well, there are some simple templates included with it, and you should
read Bric::Template, Bric::AdvTemplate, and Bric::HTMLTemplate. You'll
need to decide if you want to use Mason or HTML::Template for your
templates. If you're used to Java, you might find HTML::Template more
comfortable to work with, as it has a stricter division between data
processing and display. All the example templates are Mason templates,
however. If you decide to go with Mason, I highly recommend the new
Mason book from O'Reilly, which incidentally features an appendix on
Bricolage.

Good luck getting to love Bricolage!

Regards,

David