expired stories are removed from a site, but if a story is related to
some other story than this makes a broken link. Is it right?

Regards, Zdravko.
Re: expired stories [ In reply to ]
On Jan 13, 2009, at 6:02 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

> expired stories are removed from a site, but if a story is related to
> some other story than this makes a broken link. Is it right?

Correct.

David
Re: expired stories [ In reply to ]
On 13-Jan-09, at 3:39 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2009, at 6:02 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>
>> expired stories are removed from a site, but if a story is related to
>> some other story than this makes a broken link. Is it right?
>
> Correct.

Feature requests:

- Execution of template on story expire
- Media asset templates

;-)

--
Phillip Smith // Simplifier of Technology // COMMUNITY BANDWIDTH
www.communitybandwidth.ca // www.communitybandwidth.ca/phillipadsmith
Re: expired stories [ In reply to ]
On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:49 AM, Phillip Smith wrote:

> Feature requests:
>
> - Execution of template on story expire
> - Media asset templates

- Associating more than one file with a media document

Best,

David
RE: expired stories [ In reply to ]
I have the code for execution of template on story expire if you're interested, but limited time for fits and commits. But, if someone is willing to take this on, I'd be happy to share. I suspect you'd want another bric config setting associated with that which I do not have.

RE: expired stories [ In reply to ]
Hi,
may I ask about the current state of this old issue bellow.
Regards, Zdravko

Re: expired stories [ In reply to ]
Hi,
this expiring busyness only goes wrong because cover pages
are not republished. So, could a fix be as simple as this:
$burner->publish_another($cover,$expire_date)
in addition to the immediate publish_another($cover); ?

Regards, Zdravko

Re: expired stories [ In reply to ]
I'd like to add a +1 to getting story templates to re-run on expire. If there's code out there, let's get it into a Github repository so others can hack it into shape. :)

--
Phillip Smith
http://phillipadsmith.com
Re: expired stories [ In reply to ]
Phillip, it looks like templates doesn't need to be re-run on expire at all.
publish_another($cover) could schedule publishing the cover twice: immediately and
on $story->get_expire_date.

Is this really this simple or am I thinking naive? :)

Zdravko

Re: expired stories [ In reply to ]
If the story has an expire date in the past, the template never runs, so I'm not sure what you're proposing...?

Re: expired stories [ In reply to ]
Phillip Smith wrote:
> If the story has an expire date in the past, the template never runs, so I'm not sure what you're proposing...?

Not for the past. If story has an expire date in the future, when it's removed
from the site by the expire job, the link to this now non-existing story still
exists on corresponding cover pages.
I'am not sure what to do with expire date in the past!? Why would you need to
run the template?

Zdravko
Re: expired stories [ In reply to ]
On 2011-03-31, at 8:44 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

> Phillip Smith wrote:
>> If the story has an expire date in the past, the template never runs, so I'm not sure what you're proposing...?
>
> Not for the past. If story has an expire date in the future, when it's removed
> from the site by the expire job, the link to this now non-existing story still
> exists on corresponding cover pages.

I see what you're proposing. You're proposing to create a republish job in the future for the cover story that would happen after the linked story expired. I guess that would work for stories that had expire dates far out in the future. However, many people _expire_ a story in a hurry -- e.g., something they want to remove from the site -- and, when they set the expire date, and republish it, it does not re-run the template, thus no republish job would be created.

> I'am not sure what to do with expire date in the past!? Why would you need to
> run the template?

Because I have stories that write themselves to an external database and I want to remove them from the database if/when they are expired. Thus, to do that in "real time," I need to re-run the template, check if the story is expiring, and remove it from the database. Right now, I have to use a cron job to check for expired stories.

Phillip.

Re: expired stories [ In reply to ]
I see. So expire is the same as publish, except that files
gets removed from site instead.
Zdravko