Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Re: ANNOUNCE: Bricolage 1.4.4
On Monday, October 28, 2002, at 09:20 AM, Steve Linberg wrote:

> Hi David. Quick question I didn't see addressed on the site: do you
> have
> any plans to support other RDMS's? I run mysql on my box and don't
> have
> the spare horses to set up postgres alongside it. I'd be interested in
> checking out bricolage, but if it's deeply tied to postgres it will
> probably be a while for me.

People always ask about this. I need to get a FAQ together (in my spare
time). Here's my answer (I'm cc'ing to the bricolage-general list so
that I can point to it when I'm asked this in the future):

* Bricolage has a few PostgreSQL-specific uses, but these could
probably be ferreted out and changed.

* I will be moving the SQL code around in the source tree in such a was
as to allow for support for other RDBMSs to be added without too much
organizational difficulty.

* Bricolage has RDBMS adaptor drivers, though only DBD::Pg and
DBD::Oracle at the moment, and the Oracle one is out of date. I have an
even older one for MySQL lying around here somewhere.

* Many people have expressed an interest in porting Bricolage to
another database, but no one has produced any patches to date. This is
most likely because there is a *lot* of SQL code to evaluate and
possibly change.

* Regardless of what databases are supported in the future, primary
development will continue on PostgreSQL.

* Bricolage is designed for use by large organizations, and the
expectation is that they'll be able to pay the extra couple of grand
for the extra horsepower for a PostgreSQL server.

So...patches welcome. ;-)

Regards,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] Re: ANNOUNCE: Bricolage 1.4.4 [ In reply to ]
David wrote:

> * Bricolage is designed for use by large organizations, and the
> expectation is that they'll be able to pay the extra couple of grand
> for the extra horsepower for a PostgreSQL server.
>
> So...patches welcome. ;-)

duh.... did I miss something?? postgresql runs just fine on my
serveral year old linux box. Might I point out that the slowest
processers in production are now 1.4g Celerons and that 256 megs of
memory is $30 .... add that to $100 bucks for an Asus motherboard,
$50 bucks for a case and another $150 for a pair (raid) of 60 gig
hard drives.

So.... for about $500 bucks you can have a machine worthy of nuclear
weapons deveolpment. Postgres MIGHT push the load average on such a
machine from 0.01 to maybe 0.02

Michael
Michael@Insulin-Pumpers.org