Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] PostgeSQL as the backend
I have no intention of starting any sort of flaming debate here. I am just
curious and always looking for new information from fellow developers.

What based the decision to use PostgreSQL as the database backend as opposed
to MySQL? Everything I have read seems to point to MySQL as being the
quicker database that can handle more concurrent users, etc.

In the case of Bricolage, what does PostgreSQL have that MySQL does not that
makes PostgreSQL the better development platform?

Thanks for any feedback. Cheers.

Kind Regards,

Wayne Dyck
Effigy Interactive

Tel: 604-551-8495
Website: http://www.effigy.ca

Re: [Bricolage-General] PostgeSQL as the backend [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 1 May 2002, Wayne Dyck wrote:

> What based the decision to use PostgreSQL as the database backend as opposed
> to MySQL?

One word: features. PostgreSQL supports just about every RDBMS feature
you can imagine: constraints, triggers, functions, transactions,
inheritence, etc. Bricolage was originally written for Oracle and I think
that you'll agree that PostgreSQL is much closer to Oracle than MySQL.
MySQL is catching up but it's still well behind.

> Everything I have read seems to point to MySQL as being the quicker
> database that can handle more concurrent users, etc.

This is, of course, a contentious point. The MySQL folks have copious
data that supports their claim to dominance and so do the PostgreSQL
people. I, personally, tend to find the MySQL claims more credible, but
it should be easy to find other opinions among the Bricolage developers.

I happen to be a big fan of MySQL and I'd love to see a MySQL port of
Bricolage. That said, it's a huge job and not one I plan to personally
devote much time to. PostgreSQL support is here, it works and well,
that's good enough!

-sam

RE: [Bricolage-General] PostgeSQL as the backend [ In reply to ]
> One word: features. PostgreSQL supports just about every RDBMS feature
> you can imagine: constraints, triggers, functions, transactions,
> inheritence, etc.

True. I usually tell people that if you need all the extra stuff then
PostgreSQL is probably a better choice, however, if you don't, take a look
at MySQL. I was curious if Bricolage was written to utilize a lot of the
extra features - seeing that it was ported from Oracle I would guess that it
probably does.

> that you'll agree that PostgreSQL is much closer to Oracle than MySQL.

Yep.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I have Bricolage downloaded and I just need
to setup PostgreSQL and I can start playing around with it. My only
stumbling block thus far has been time and the database. :)

If it does what I think it will do, one should be able to build a unique
page template that users can fill in the information for and have it
presented in a certain way.

Thanks again.