Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] Apache startup problems
Hi list
I'm trying to get Bricolage started on my FreeBSD 4.5 brand new box.
I followed all the setup instructions, dos and dont's, struggled with
buggy makefiles, missing libraries, but finally I got up with this error
from $BRICOLAGE_ROOT/bin/bric_apachectl start:

Syntax error on line 58 of /usr/local/bricolage/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid argument at /usr/local/bricolage/lib/Bric/Util/CharTrans.pm line
308, <DATA> line 1.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/local/bricolage/lib/Bric/App/ApacheConfig.
pm line 54, <DATA> line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/bricolage/lib/Bric/App/ApacheConfig.pm line 54, <DATA> line 1.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 3) line 3, <DATA> line 1.

No way, this is too hard for me... :-(
All Perl modules of Bundle::Bricolage seem to work fine, except for the
Text::Iconv 'make test' output, which says that most tests have been
skipped - that was cool for me, but could still be a problem, I worked
hard just to make it work!

Can anyone help me? Please!

Thank you so much...

Bye

--
Rodolfo Baselli
De Agostini Professionale

[Bricolage-General] Apache startup problems [ In reply to ]
Hi list
[...]

De Agostini Professionale (Italy)

Re: [Bricolage-General] Apache startup problems [ In reply to ]
On 4/22/02 6:13 AM, "Rodolfo Baselli" <rodolfo.baselli@deaprofessionale.it>
claimed:

> Syntax error on line 58 of /usr/local/bricolage/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid argument at /usr/local/bricolage/lib/Bric/Util/CharTrans.pm line
> 308, <DATA> line 1.
> Compilation failed in require at
> /usr/local/bricolage/lib/Bric/App/ApacheConfig.
> pm line 54, <DATA> line 1.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/local/bricolage/lib/Bric/App/ApacheConfig.pm line 54, <DATA> line 1.
> Compilation failed in require at (eval 3) line 3, <DATA> line 1.

This usually happens because you're processing a character from a character
set that Text::Iconv isn't expecting. In fact, it happens most often because
somehow the configuration got screwed up and now Mason is serving images
from the comp/media subdirectory, and attempting to translate the bytes in
the images into a character set! Ouch. So check
Bric::App::Handler::handler(), and see if it's serving images. If it's not,
poke around the pages you're serving to see if it's running into unexpected
characters. The default is to translate between Latin-1 and UTF-8, so if you
have, for example, a Latin-2 character, it could trigger the error you're
seeing.

> No way, this is too hard for me... :-(
> All Perl modules of Bundle::Bricolage seem to work fine, except for the
> Text::Iconv 'make test' output, which says that most tests have been
> skipped - that was cool for me, but could still be a problem, I worked
> hard just to make it work!

Yes, I think that should be fine.

Stick with it -- you're almost there!

Regards,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@wheeler.net ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-General] Apache startup problems [ In reply to ]
David Wheeler wrote:
> The default is to translate between Latin-1 and UTF-8, so if you
> have, for example, a Latin-2 character, it could trigger the error you're
> seeing.
>
> Stick with it -- you're almost there!

I got it.
CharTrans.pm, line 72: uncommented
use constant UTF8 => 'UTF-8';
and replaced every occurrence in the file (lines 303, 311) with the new
constant.
The default codeset name was wrong for my system (FreeBSD 4.5 release);
the successful hint came from the Text::Iconv author.

Thank you!

Regards

--
Rodolfo Baselli
De Agostini Professionale

Re: [Bricolage-General] Apache startup problems [ In reply to ]
On 4/22/02 11:44 PM, "Rodolfo Baselli" <rodolfo.baselli@deaprofessionale.it>
claimed:

> The default codeset name was wrong for my system (FreeBSD 4.5 release);
> the successful hint came from the Text::Iconv author.

Huh, I thought I fixed that bug a few weeks ago. I'll have to look at it
again. Thanks for letting us know about your success. We hope you enjoy
using Bricolage!

Regards,

David