Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] grumble
I've spent the last several days carefully reading all the
documentation and clicking through the example element / element type
editing. However, I can not for the life of me create a set of site
pages for publication similar to that described in the hierachy
outlined in the Element Admin docs. Perhaps it is very simple, very
complex or I'm just dense -- but I can not make sense of the docs. I
have read through the code, can use both mason and "templates" to
generate dynamic content, but I just don't get the user interface in
Bricolage.

So far I've generated a "Cover", but that only allows for related
media / stories, no columns, nav bars, etc...

Likewise I've created a "story" which is "related" to the cover page.
Upon clicking "view" for the related story all I get is a javascript
error that says "Error: elements is null or not an obhect"
http://bricserver/workflo/profile/story/containber/

I'm a software engineer with many years of experience, most recent
with extensive unix and mod_perl work. If I can't figure this out,
how is some poor grunt supposed to be able to do it.

Is there any additional "hidden" documentation, a demo site, anything
that shows how all this good stuff is supposed to go together.
Clearly from the code and the appearance, look, and feel of the tools
there is a lot of capability in bricolage. I would be nice to know
how to make it all work together. Any help would be appreciated. I'd
be happy to call, or be called on the phone, exchange e-mail,
whatever.

Michael
Insulin Pumpers
4600 El Camino Real - Suite 206
Los Altos, CA 94022
Tel: 650 947-3350
Fax: 650 947-3356
michael@insulin-pumpers.org

Re: [Bricolage-General] grumble [ In reply to ]
On Monday, March 25, 2002, at 04:22 PM, Michael wrote:

> So far I've generated a "Cover", but that only allows for related
> media / stories, no columns, nav bars, etc...

You can add other pieces by creating new Elements in the Element Admin
tool, and then adding them as subelements to the Cover Element.

> Likewise I've created a "story" which is "related" to the cover page.
> Upon clicking "view" for the related story all I get is a javascript
> error that says "Error: elements is null or not an obhect"
> http://bricserver/workflo/profile/story/containber/

This is a strange error -- especially if it's JavaScript, I don't get
where it's coming from or what it's talking about. Can you provide
detailed instructions on how to re-create it?

> I'm a software engineer with many years of experience, most recent
> with extensive unix and mod_perl work. If I can't figure this out,
> how is some poor grunt supposed to be able to do it.

I'm happy to try to help, but I'm not sure where exactly you're running
into problems. If you'd like to post questions about issues as they come
up, I and others can respond. But the general "I don't get it," and "it's
not working for me" posts don't allow us to address specific issues you're
having.

Regards,

David

David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory