Mailing List Archive

[Bricolage-General] more difficulties
I've been working throught the "almost tutorial" in the Element
Administraton Guide. I did the following and encountered problems.

Editing element type "Page"

I misread the instructions and added
Text box => Pull Quote

so being the efficient person that I am, I clicked the delete box,
then the
Text area => Pull Quote, etc....

Save

The Text box nicely disappeared but the Text area did not appear.
So... I tried to add the Pull Quote Text box again, no luck.

A text box by any other name will appear nicely, but not Pull Quote.

Great, I decided to delete "Page" and simply re-create it, checked
delete and hit the save button, clicked "Add new element", enter
"Page" and click next

I now get the message

The name "Page" is already used by another Element.

According to the List of Elements produced by "All" this is not the
case.

Stuck !!! and I think something broke.
Michael@Insulin-Pumpers.org

Re: [Bricolage-General] more difficulties [ In reply to ]
On Friday, March 22, 2002, at 04:56 PM, Michael wrote:

> A text box by any other name will appear nicely, but not Pull Quote.

You can't give a text field the same name as another text field -- even
a deleted one -- in Elements. This is because they're still in the
database, and the reason they're still there is so that, if you created
a story that used the field, and then deleted the field from the Element
profile, the field will still appear in the story. This makes archiving
possible.

The solution is to give the field a different name, but to use the same
label (or display name -- I can't remember which we called it there).

> The name "Page" is already used by another Element.

Same story. You can't create an element with the same name as another
element, even if you've deleted that Element. Again, this is so that
stories that were created with the deleted element in the past will
still work properly. Unfortunately, there currently is no "Label" option
for elements, so you'll just have to give it an entirely different name,
e.g., "Story Page".

HTH,

David