Mailing List Archive

Re: thumbnails on the fly
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On May 23, 2011, at 10:49 PM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>
>> Still, template will need to create media of a type for which a user will not
>> have even a READ privilege?!
>
> Templates don't check permissions, so you're fine there.
>
>> There is a great thing about Bricolage being static: thumbnails can be created
>> by templates, and need not to be created in advance, typically before one even
>> knows the size of the thumbnail. Drupal can eat itself. :)
>
> Yep.

Excellent! This solves it. It feels like there exists a generic thumbnail handling
approach. Something like:
$burner->get_thumbnail($img, {'width' => xx, 'height' => yy, 'crop' => 0/1, ... } )
which (re)creates (check file mtime) a thumbnail media document of type Thumbnail
(hidden from users), makes it related to $img, considers other configuration options,
etc. etc. and returns thumbnail media document, that being related, will be published
along with the original image. A user don't need to care about anything. There can
be as many thumbnail images as are needed. Even too many, actually ... ?!

Regards, Zdravko.
Re: thumbnails on the fly [ In reply to ]
On May 27, 2011, at 12:45 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

> Excellent! This solves it. It feels like there exists a generic thumbnail handling
> approach. Something like:
> $burner->get_thumbnail($img, {'width' => xx, 'height' => yy, 'crop' => 0/1, ... } )
> which (re)creates (check file mtime) a thumbnail media document of type Thumbnail
> (hidden from users), makes it related to $img, considers other configuration options,
> etc. etc. and returns thumbnail media document, that being related, will be published
> along with the original image. A user don't need to care about anything. There can
> be as many thumbnail images as are needed. Even too many, actually ... ?!

You mean find_or_create_alternate()?

http://bricolagecms.org/docs/current/api/Bric::Biz::Asset::Business::Media::Image#Public-Instance-Methods

Best,

David
Re: thumbnails on the fly [ In reply to ]

Re: thumbnails on the fly [ In reply to ]
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On May 27, 2011, at 12:45 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>
>> Excellent! This solves it. It feels like there exists a generic thumbnail handling
>> approach. Something like:
>> $burner->get_thumbnail($img, {'width' => xx, 'height' => yy, 'crop' => 0/1, ... } )
>> which (re)creates (check file mtime) a thumbnail media document of type Thumbnail
>> (hidden from users), makes it related to $img, considers other configuration options,
>> etc. etc. and returns thumbnail media document, that being related, will be published
>> along with the original image. A user don't need to care about anything. There can
>> be as many thumbnail images as are needed. Even too many, actually ... ?!
>
> You mean find_or_create_alternate()?
>
> http://bricolagecms.org/docs/current/api/Bric::Biz::Asset::Business::Media::Image#Public-Instance-Methods

Yes, in part. The rest is a maintenance and a CMS issue.
There is another, even better approach, I just don't know if it works.

A thumbnail could (should) be related to a burning story, a story that displays it,
instead to the original media document. This way there would be only as many thumbnails
as needed, not like here, where every media has a bunch of thumbnails regardless. But this
may require a story to check out itself, create images, and then save and check in again while
being published... or just save if being previewed while checked out...

Regards, Zdravko
Re: thumbnails on the fly [ In reply to ]
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On May 27, 2011, at 12:45 AM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:
>
>> Excellent! This solves it. It feels like there exists a generic thumbnail handling
>> approach. Something like:
>> $burner->get_thumbnail($img, {'width' => xx, 'height' => yy, 'crop' => 0/1, ... } )
>> which (re)creates (check file mtime) a thumbnail media document of type Thumbnail
>> (hidden from users), makes it related to $img, considers other configuration options,
>> etc. etc. and returns thumbnail media document, that being related, will be published
>> along with the original image. A user don't need to care about anything. There can
>> be as many thumbnail images as are needed. Even too many, actually ... ?!
>
> You mean find_or_create_alternate()?
>
> http://bricolagecms.org/docs/current/api/Bric::Biz::Asset::Business::Media::Image#Public-Instance-Methods

YES, actually! It comes out, that anything I can think of is already there! :)
That's Bricolage!

Thanks,
Zdravko
Re: thumbnails on the fly [ In reply to ]
On May 30, 2011, at 11:50 PM, Zdravko Balorda wrote:

>> You mean find_or_create_alternate()?
>> http://bricolagecms.org/docs/current/api/Bric::Biz::Asset::Business::Media::Image#Public-Instance-Methods
>
> YES, actually! It comes out, that anything I can think of is already there! :)
> That's Bricolage!

Excellent!

Best,

David