Mailing List Archive

Open Office Doc upload to Bricolage
I'm sitting here with Bret and Greg and we're trying to remember who was working on a way to upload (well-formatted) Open Office documents into Bricolage, where Bricolage would then parse them and turn them into story data. Does anyone remember this, and -- if so -- the status (code online?) or who was working on it?

Phillip.
Re: Open Office Doc upload to Bricolage [ In reply to ]
I remember the conversation (and chiming in), but I don't recall hearing that any code was written. It would be nice to see a UI for mapping xml elements and attributes to bricolage elements. Open Office is a great example.

-Aaron

---------------------------------
Aaron Fuleki
Senior Web Architect
Denison University
740.587.5752
---------------------------------

Re: Open Office Doc upload to Bricolage [ In reply to ]
I found this relevant thread on the mailing list:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/38840#38840

However, these two branches are now 404ing:
https://github.com/brewt/bricolage/commits/dev_who_word_import
https://github.com/brewt/bricolage/tree/dev_inline_edit

Does anyone have a copy of these branches?

Phillip.

Re: Open Office Doc upload to Bricolage [ In reply to ]
Hi Phillip,

> I found this relevant thread on the mailing list:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/38840#38840

Yes, that was us. Here's the relevant post:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/38852#38852

It lets you put a mapping text file that maps word styles to bricolage
elements, and then lets you upload elements. No work has happened on it
since though.

There is a working beta of the code.

I'm travelling at the moment, but will see if we can get github restored
or access to a diff.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alex Krohn <alex@gt.net>
Re: Open Office Doc upload to Bricolage [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> I found this relevant thread on the mailing list:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/38840#38840
>
> However, these two branches are now 404ing:
> https://github.com/brewt/bricolage/commits/dev_who_word_import
> https://github.com/brewt/bricolage/tree/dev_inline_edit
>
> Does anyone have a copy of these branches?

Attached is a patch of the changes against Bricolage 2.0.1.

Please note, this is beta and only lightly tested and still needs a fair
bit of polish before considering merging into Bricolage.

If anyone wants to take it up and finds it useful, happy to help see how
we could merge it in.

If you are interested in trying this out and see if it something
suitable for your organization, the basic install steps are:

1. Install the prerequisites:

- abiword http://www.abisource.com/
- wvsummary http://wvware.sourceforge.net/

which handle the meta info extraction and text/style extraction.

2. Apply the patch. It's built against 2.0.1, and will alter the
following core Bricolage files:

comp/widgets/story_prof/edit_new.html
comp/workflow/profile/story/new/dhandler
lib/Bric/App/Callback/Profile/Story.pm

It will install the custom code in lib/BricX (for lack of a more
suitable place). The configuration file that handles mapping of word
styles to bricolage elements is in:

conf/word_import.conf

3. Edit lib/BricX/Converter.pm and set the path to abiword/wvsummary
(currently hard coded).

4. Look at conf/word_import.conf and see mapping of styleesheet to
element types. I'd just stick with this for now, but should give you a
guideline for how to adjust to fit your needs.

5. Go to create new story, and you should see a upload file field.
Upload a word file, and you should see the new story pre-populated from
the word file. You can go to:

http://gt.net/products/source/bric-word-convert.zip

to get a sample .dot and .doc file that is setup for the included conf
file which will hopefully get you started.

Hope someone finds it helpful and if anyone runs with this, let me know.

Our thanks go out to the people at WHO for sponsoring this, and just as
important, allowing it to go back to the community. =)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alex Krohn <alex@gt.net>
Re: Open Office Doc upload to Bricolage [ In reply to ]
> Attached is a patch of the changes against Bricolage 2.0.1.

Sigh, silly ezmlm. Here's the patch:

http://gt.net/products/source/bric-word-convert.patch.gz

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alex Krohn <alex@gt.net>
Gossamer Threads Inc. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/
Re: Open Office Doc upload to Bricolage [ In reply to ]
Sounds awesome! Congratulations. Hopefully one can remove font
colors, sizes, ... and things.
I couldn't even imagine one would pay so much effort into this.
I'd be happy with importing "tidied" Word html file instead of
the very .doc itself.

Regards, Zdravko