Mailing List Archive

Perl Reference Projects (was Re: Bricolage 2.0 Drops)
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> On Apr 13, 2010, at 6:21 AM, Steffen Schwigon wrote:
>
>> All the new and reworked stuff around the project, the fresh new web
>> site, the professional references, the well-prepared github wiki, the
>> documentation, the db backend flexibility, the dynamic UI,
>> unbelievable what you did to it.
>
> Wow, very kind words, Steffen. Thank you.

BTW, I currently investigate on “corporate style” answers about where
Perl is used; and strangely it's quite difficult to find a central
resource of “enterprise class” Perl solutions that are more than just
the 1990's “glue” that many people still consider Perl to be.

Do you propagate Bricolage as reference project to some of the Perl
Organisations (TPF, EPO)? Anywhere else?

Do you know of a central reference resource where it would fit in,
together with SpamAssassin, LiveJournal, Bugzilla, MoveableType,
TypePad, (what else?)?

And generally I'm interested in customer use-cases where Perl is used
as their primary *heavy* workload, so *heavy* that they care about
tweaking hardware, OS or Perl. Like Amazon with Mason (not sure if
that's still valid).

I'm lacking a central starting point for these questions.

I'm asking you Bricolage guys as you seem to do it right. The
Bricolage corona is so shiny that one doesn't even think of Perl
first — which should become the other way around.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Steffen
--
Steffen Schwigon <ss5@renormalist.net>
Dresden Perl Mongers <http://dresden-pm.org/>
Re: Perl Reference Projects (was Re: Bricolage 2.0 Drops) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> BTW, I currently investigate on “corporate style” answers about where
> Perl is used; and strangely it's quite difficult to find a central
> resource of “enterprise class” Perl solutions that are more than just
> the 1990's “glue” that many people still consider Perl to be.
>
> Do you propagate Bricolage as reference project to some of the Perl
> Organisations (TPF, EPO)? Anywhere else?
>
> Do you know of a central reference resource where it would fit in,
> together with SpamAssassin, LiveJournal, Bugzilla, MoveableType,
> TypePad, (what else?)?

Request Tracker (enterprise ticketing)
SocialText (enterprise wiki)

> And generally I'm interested in customer use-cases where Perl is used
> as their primary *heavy* workload, so *heavy* that they care about
> tweaking hardware, OS or Perl. Like Amazon with Mason (not sure if
> that's still valid).
>
> I'm lacking a central starting point for these questions.

The mod_perl site has a good starting point:

http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/index.html

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alex Krohn <alex@gossamer-threads.com>
Gossamer Threads Inc. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/
Re: Perl Reference Projects (was Re: Bricolage 2.0 Drops) [ In reply to ]
On Apr 15, 2010, at 2:30 AM, Steffen Schwigon wrote:

> I'm asking you Bricolage guys as you seem to do it right. The
> Bricolage corona is so shiny that one doesn't even think of Perl
> first — which should become the other way around.

Well, that was intentional. I didn't want to sell Perl, I wanted to sell a CMS. But I'm happy for Perl fans to think of it as Perl first.

Best,

David
Re: Perl Reference Projects (was Re: Bricolage 2.0 Drops) [ In reply to ]
Foswiki (and its predecessor TWiki) is a pretty powerful Wiki based on
Perl. It's used as the collaboration/intranet tool at places like
Yahoo and Motorola, and is popular with research projects.

www.foswiki.org

-Aaron

Aaron Fuleki
Senior Web Architect