Mailing List Archive

Input required: HTML version of new bricolagecms.org for review
Hello,

Many thanks for all of your on- and off-list input to date. I've taken
your input and hammered out a basic HTML version of a new
bricolagecms.org site based on the designs presented previously.
Caveat: I've not tested the HTML thoroughly in all browsers, but they
do seem functional in Safari and Firefox, and thus I'd like to get any
final comments or input before moving on to more thorough testing, etc.

You can find the front page here:
http://bricolage.indevelopment.ca/index.shtml

And you should be able to navigate to the other pages from there
(except for the "Tour" page, which I'm currently working on).

Please take five minutes this week to review the pages and let me know:

+ If you see any critical layout or copy issues that need to be
addressed
+ If your organization is okay with being presented on the Showcase
page (http://bricolage.indevelopment.ca/showcase.shtml)
+ If you would like to provide any additional copy for your showcase /
case study

I think that's it for today. I'll pop another note out once the Tour
page is complete. From there, it's a sprint to get this thing launched
to support the release of Bricolage 2.0! :-)

Many thanks in advance,

Phillip.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/38147
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/37752
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/37969
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/bricolage/devel/38012

--
Phillip Smith // Simplifier of Technology // COMMUNITY BANDWIDTH
www.communitybandwidth.ca // www.phillipadsmith.com
Re: Input required: HTML version of new bricolagecms.org for review [ In reply to ]
Phillip,

I only spent a few minutes on it, but there are no issues of any significance—this looks like a good and faithful translation of the design to HTML.

A broader question: Is this the new Bricolage logo? If so, shouldn't that be incorporated into 2.0? Is there any interest in taking the theme of the website (the reds and blues, the use of Helvetica Neue, the gradient backgrounds, the rounded-corner rgb(250, 250, 250) backgrounds, the DeliciousHeavy header tags, etc.) and applying it to Bricolage? I think that Bricolage is badly in need of a design refresh, and since it's substantially CSS based, that might not be as daunting a prospect as it might seem at first blush. FWIW, I really like the individual design elements of the site, and I think some of them would look pretty sharp incorporated into Bricolage.

Best,
Waldo

Re: Input required: HTML version of new bricolagecms.org for review [ In reply to ]
Hey there Waldo,

On 10-Feb-10, at 3:13 PM, Waldo Jaquith wrote:

> I only spent a few minutes on it, but there are no issues of any
> significance—this looks like a good and faithful translation of the
> design to HTML.

Many thanks for the quick review. Greatly appreciated.

Also, FYI, I've posted the "Tour" page with preliminary screenshots of
the relevant screens:
http://bricolage.indevelopment.ca/tour.shtml

Let me know what you think.

> A broader question: Is this the new Bricolage logo? If so, shouldn't
> that be incorporated into 2.0? Is there any interest in taking the
> theme of the website (the reds and blues, the use of Helvetica Neue,
> the gradient backgrounds, the rounded-corner rgb(250, 250, 250)
> backgrounds, the DeliciousHeavy header tags, etc.) and applying it
> to Bricolage? I think that Bricolage is badly in need of a design
> refresh, and since it's substantially CSS based, that might not be
> as daunting a prospect as it might seem at first blush. FWIW, I
> really like the individual design elements of the site, and I think
> some of them would look pretty sharp incorporated into Bricolage.

David also requested that the logo from this new site be carried over
to the Bricolage UI. I think it's just a matter of finding the time /
energy to do it, as it sounds like many folks are on board with
updating the logo and colour scheme to match the new site (and,
obviously, re-doing the screen shots and so on to match).

Phillip.

Re: Input required: HTML version of new bricolagecms.org for review [ In reply to ]
Phillip,
This looks rad - excellent work as usual!

My only comment so far - the red Demo and Download buttons have
neither hover nor cursor events. I thought they were dead, until I
actually clicked one (at least in Safari 4). Minor UX mapping issue,
that. I'd just darken them on hover, and make sure the cursor changes
to a pointer.

This totally needs to be the skin for bric 2, hands down.

-Aaron

Aaron Fuleki
Senior Web Architect
Denison University
740.587.5752

Re: Input required: HTML version of new bricolagecms.org for review [ In reply to ]
Many thanks for all the comments. :-) Now back to work!