transitioning over to bricolagecms.com, or at least having both?

--
Marshall
Re: New domain name? [ In reply to ]
On Apr 29, 2009, at 11:21 AM, Marshall Roch wrote:

> I just heard from David that renewing bricolage.cc is expensive
> relative to a .com, which got me thinking. bricolagecms.com is
> currently available and seems like a more memorable URL. We have a
> year until .cc expires again but what do people think about
> transitioning over to bricolagecms.com, or at least having both?

As I just mentioned on the users list, I picked up bricolagecms.org
(we're not really a .com). Thoughts?

David
Re: New domain name? [ In reply to ]
Marshall Roch wrote:
> I just heard from David that renewing bricolage.cc is expensive relative
> to a .com, which got me thinking. bricolagecms.com is currently
> available and seems like a more memorable URL. We have a year until .cc
> expires again but what do people think about transitioning over to
> bricolagecms.com, or at least having both?

I think it would be valuable to have a generic domain for Bricolage like a .com
and that that country code domains like .cc, which is the Cocos (Keeling)
Islands, are only valuable if you live there or focus your business there.

The only reason to keep the older .cc domain for awhile is as a redirector, so
people with bookmarks or links to that can more easily find the new site.

-- Darren Duncan
Re: New domain name? [ In reply to ]
On 29/4/09 19:36, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2009, at 11:21 AM, Marshall Roch wrote:
>
>> I just heard from David that renewing bricolage.cc is expensive
>> relative to a .com, which got me thinking. bricolagecms.com is
>> currently available and seems like a more memorable URL. We have a
>> year until .cc expires again but what do people think about
>> transitioning over to bricolagecms.com, or at least having both?
>
> As I just mentioned on the users list, I picked up bricolagecms.org
> (we're not really a .com). Thoughts?

Fine with me although we'll need to keep .cc around for at least the
next year or two to cope with people finding it in search engines and
websites.

You could go to the trouble of searching for inbound links and
requesting a change but that's a lot of work.

Probably easier just to hang on to the old domain.

S.

--
Digital Craftsmen Ltd
Exmouth House, 3 Pine Street, London. EC1R 0JH