Mailing List Archive

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0
On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 21:59, Sam Tregar wrote:

<snip />

> So long as there's no pressing need to get to 1.4.0 we can
> release frequent 1.3.x builds as development progresses.

And what's the advantage of offering 1.3.0 releases?

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@kineticode.com ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0 [ In reply to ]
On 9 Feb 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> > So long as there's no pressing need to get to 1.4.0 we can
> > release frequent 1.3.x builds as development progresses.
>
> And what's the advantage of offering 1.3.0 releases?

People that want to try out the SOAP interface can do so without running
the risk that I broke it in CVS the day before! In a week I'll have all
of Bric::SOAP::Media done and tested. At that point bin/bric_soap will be
a fully functional tool for story migration and import. Two of the main
use cases for the SOAP interface will be enabled: uploading content from
legacy CMS's and sharing content between Bricolage instances.

Plus, we'll get to see if Eric Raymond is right - if a quick release
schedule will energize the project. Having seen it first-hand on other
projects I'm willing to bet it will.

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 10:59, Sam Tregar wrote:

<snip />

> Plus, we'll get to see if Eric Raymond is right - if a quick release
> schedule will energize the project. Having seen it first-hand on other
> projects I'm willing to bet it will.

Okay, here's what I'd like to suggest. First, let's get 1.2.1 out the
door. It'll be the last minor version number release with new features.
It doesn't make sense to me to have two development tracks going on.
Besides, I think that all we have left to address is the configure
stuff. Let's get that all ironed out and released by the end of the
week, eh?

Then, I'll create a "Bricolage Developer" release package on
SourceForge, and we can then always have two tracks of releases: stable
and developer. Right now that'll mean 1.2.x and 1.3.x. We can get that
going at the same time we deliver 1.2.1.

Sound good?

David

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0 [ In reply to ]
On 9 Feb 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> Okay, here's what I'd like to suggest. First, let's get 1.2.1 out the
> door. It'll be the last minor version number release with new features.

Sure, sounds good. It was with this in mind that I gave the installation
system a Bugzilla-sized kick in the pants.

> It doesn't make sense to me to have two development tracks going on.

Oh, I definitely agree! The things is, we do. And the HEAD track is
ready for an "unstable" release even if Release_1_2 isn't ready to be
"stable".

> Then, I'll create a "Bricolage Developer" release package on
> SourceForge, and we can then always have two tracks of releases: stable
> and developer. Right now that'll mean 1.2.x and 1.3.x. We can get that
> going at the same time we deliver 1.2.1.

Ok. Let's just make sure we don't try to release two versions on the same
day. If it looks like 1.2.1 is going to slip then we should go ahead and
break off 1.3.0 anyway. If 1.2.1 really does make it for release next
week then we should hold off on 1.3.0 for at least a few days.

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 18:54, Sam Tregar wrote:

> Sure, sounds good. It was with this in mind that I gave the installation
> system a Bugzilla-sized kick in the pants.

I figured -- and I appreciate you doing that!

> Oh, I definitely agree! The things is, we do. And the HEAD track is
> ready for an "unstable" release even if Release_1_2 isn't ready to be
> "stable".

I want it stable by EOW.

> Ok. Let's just make sure we don't try to release two versions on the same
> day. If it looks like 1.2.1 is going to slip then we should go ahead and
> break off 1.3.0 anyway. If 1.2.1 really does make it for release next
> week then we should hold off on 1.3.0 for at least a few days.

Releasing two versions on the dame day doesn't bother me, though I doubt
we would, anyway. But the point is, I don't want 1.2.1 to slip. I want
to get it out now!

Regards,

David

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0 [ In reply to ]
On 11 Feb 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> > Oh, I definitely agree! The things is, we do. And the HEAD track is
> > ready for an "unstable" release even if Release_1_2 isn't ready to be
> > "stable".
>
> I want it stable by EOW.

That's nice, but I'm ready now! I had a great day today - roughly 7 hours
of non-stop coding. Bric::SOAP::Media is done and the bric_soap client
now supports all available operations on stories and media.

So, let's release 1.3.0 tomorrow. If you're too busy I could just put it
up on bricolage.thepirtgroup.com.

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 16:15, Sam Tregar wrote:

> That's nice, but I'm ready now! I had a great day today - roughly 7 hours
> of non-stop coding. Bric::SOAP::Media is done and the bric_soap client
> now supports all available operations on stories and media.

I had a great day, too. We moved almost all of our stuff over to the new
place, and we'll spend our first night there tomorrow. The cats go over
in the morning. Yay! But I'm dog tired and my foot really hurts from
dragging a file cabinet into it.

> So, let's release 1.3.0 tomorrow. If you're too busy I could just put it
> up on bricolage.thepirtgroup.com.

I'll try to make some time tomorrow to get SF configured for the job.

David

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 16:15, Sam Tregar wrote:

> So, let's release 1.3.0 tomorrow. If you're too busy I could just put it
> up on bricolage.thepirtgroup.com.

I've changed the "Bricoloage" package on SF to "Bricolage-Stable" and
added "Bricolage-Devel". Since configure will be included, let's get it
cleaned up a little, first. Hopefully we can release 1.3.0 (devel)
tomorrow.

David

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0 [ In reply to ]
On 12 Feb 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> I've changed the "Bricoloage" package on SF to "Bricolage-Stable" and
> added "Bricolage-Devel".

Thanks.

> Since configure will be included, let's get it cleaned up a little,
> first. Hopefully we can release 1.3.0 (devel) tomorrow.

Is something wrong with configure outside of the bugs I've filed? It
looks to me like all the bugs on it are closed.

I'd rather filter out the installation stuff than wait on 1.3.0. It's
over a month late as it is, there's no telling how long it could take.
We haven't changed anything in Bric::Admin, have we? The old instructions
should still be good.

-sam

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 10:45, Sam Tregar wrote:

> Is something wrong with configure outside of the bugs I've filed? It
> looks to me like all the bugs on it are closed.

Yes -- it doesn't create a database! I'm going to file a few bugs
shortly, and I expect that Mark will address them tonight (tomorrow his
time). Then I think we can do the release. Can you wait until tomorrow?

David

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] 1.3.0 [ In reply to ]
On 12 Feb 2002, David Wheeler wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 10:45, Sam Tregar wrote:
>
> > Is something wrong with configure outside of the bugs I've filed? It
> > looks to me like all the bugs on it are closed.
>
> Yes -- it doesn't create a database! I'm going to file a few bugs
> shortly, and I expect that Mark will address them tonight (tomorrow his
> time). Then I think we can do the release. Can you wait until tomorrow?

*shrug* It's already too late in the day to do the release. Tomorrow it
is.

-sam