Hi,

I'm trying to configure wackamole to share an IP between two hosts.

The IP should only exist on one machine at the time.

How should I set up wackamole (and spread?) to make the hosts pass information between each other?

Where do I set which host that will be "primary", owning the shared IP by default?

Or did I misunderstand the whole wackamole concept?

Best regards,

Torbjorn
RE: How should I make two hosts to share an IP? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

To have only 1 "real" ip you need to configure your virtual interfaces like
this:

VirtualInterfaces {
{ eth0:192.168.1.100/32 }
{ eth0:0.0.0.0/26 }
}

To ensure that a certain server is the primary, use the Prefer paramater on
the wackamole configuration on that server. Ex:

Prefer eth0:192.168.1.100/32

Then set the other box to

Prefer eth0:0.0.0.0/32

Now, as long as the server with the "real" ip in its prefer line is running,
it will be the one listening on that IP and the other server will listen on
0.0.0.0.

That should pretty much work for a active / failover configuration. I hope
that helps,

-Tim Spangler
ADP Screening and Selection Services

_____

RE: How should I make two hosts to share an IP? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I'm trying to get wackamole running on SLES 8.4 and I've run into an
interesting problem. Wacakmole does not start. If I run wackamole -d I get
the following:

socket: Address family not supported by protocol

I'm guessing that this isn't necessarily a wackamole issue, but the only
thing I can seem to find about this error is issues with IPv6 -- which I do
not have configured on this server.

Any help out there?

Re: How should I make two hosts to share an IP? [ In reply to ]
On May 9, 2007, at 8:10 PM, Spangler, Tim wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get wackamole running on SLES 8.4 and I've run into
> an interesting problem. Wacakmole does not start. If I run
> wackamole -d I get the following:
>
> socket: Address family not supported by protocol
>
> I'm guessing that this isn't necessarily a wackamole issue, but the
> only thing I can seem to find about this error is issues with IPv6
> -- which I do not have configured on this server.
>
> Any help out there?

I'm thinking that if you do a gethostbyname(hostname()) type
invocation (which wackamole does) you are getting an IPv6 address
back. We have what sounds like a similar problem with Fedora
Directory Server frequently. It is solved by making sure that the
machine's hostname and localhost resolve to IPv4 addresses in /etc/
hosts.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal@OmniTI: http://omniti.com
// Esoteric Curio: http://www.lethargy.org/~jesus/

RE: How should I make two hosts to share an IP? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Thanks.

I'm after something similar.

I have 2 machines with each a "real" address on the network, and want to a virtual to each machine.

Machine One; real:192.168.1.1, virtual: 192.168.1.100

Machine Two; real: 192.168.1.2, virtual: 192.168.1.200

Then of cause if one machine fails, I want the other to take over the virtual address.

I can however, when I try, only make one server take both addresses.

I have set "Prefer bge0:192.168.1.100" on Machine One and "Prefer bge0:192.168.1.200" on Machine Two.

How should I set up/configure my scenario?

Machine One always takes both virtual addresses.

The servers are configured the same way, but one seems to be "primary".

How do wackamole pick which server that will be given the virtual ip's?

Thankfully

Torbjörn