Mailing List Archive

different IP ranges (subnets)
Hi List,

I am just getting started with wackamole, and i have a little question
... maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I am looking to setup wackamole at an host provider, but my fear is that
the servers that will be used, will not be in the same
IP ranges, or in the same netmasks ... i do not know if i am explaining
my concern correctly ..

.. the question is : is it a problem that members of a wackamole group
are in different IP ranges (subnets), and that the virtual IPs are
also in different ranges (subnets)?

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Jake.

--
Project Director
E-Logiq S.A.

e: jcole@e-logiq.net
m: +33 (0)6 20 77 03 59
f: +33 (0)3 83 29 22 06
t: +33 (0)3 83 21 08 53 (seichamps)
t: +33 (0)3 88 22 90 30 (strasbourg)
different IP ranges (subnets) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 10:29, Jake Cole wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am just getting started with wackamole, and i have a little question
> ... maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> I am looking to setup wackamole at an host provider, but my fear is that
> the servers that will be used, will not be in the same
> IP ranges, or in the same netmasks ... i do not know if i am explaining
> my concern correctly ..
>
> .. the question is : is it a problem that members of a wackamole group
> are in different IP ranges (subnets), and that the virtual IPs are
> also in different ranges (subnets)?

If you can do it by hand with ifconfig, you should be able to get
wackamole to do it automatically. If youhave a large flat (no VLAN)
network, I don't see why you'd have a problem.

On the other hand, if the network is segmented, but each machine has a
physical interface on each segment, then it will work fine as well.
This is very similar to the configuration of wackamole on routers.

--
// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
different IP ranges (subnets) [ In reply to ]
>If you can do it by hand with ifconfig, you should be able to get
>wackamole to do it automatically. If youhave a large flat (no VLAN)
>network, I don't see why you'd have a problem.
>
>On the other hand, if the network is segmented, but each machine has a
>physical interface on each segment, then it will work fine as well.
>This is very similar to the configuration of wackamole on routers.

Thanks for your answer :o)

--
Project Director
E-Logiq S.A.