Mailing List Archive

apache question related to wackamole
This is really an apache question, but specific to webserver implementation
with wackamole. I'm having a mental block on the logical way to set up
failover of a website. Here's the situation: We have a number of websites,
some have digital ID's so each of them has their own IP address, but others
don't have a digital ID and thus are name-based virtual hosts.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around how to configure apache for
this. I don't believe you can have multiple virtual hosts that have the same
name (on different IP's) on a single apache webserver (virtualhost's overlap
is my new favorite error message). Perhaps one gets around this by
specifying "*" for the IP address in the virtualhost directives? Evenso I
would think apache would cough at startup.

Could anyone throw out a simple apache configuration example - JUST the
virtualhost parts, for a single site like www.foo.com that has round robin
DNS to www1.foo.com and www2.foo.com (that I could do, but..) that takes
into account wackamole shuffling IP's between www1 and www2? I have a
feeling it's something simple and obvious that I just can't get my head
around. A nudge in the right direction would be MOST appreciated! THANKS in
advance.

Jay West

---