Mailing List Archive

config problem
I need some help to figure out how wachamole works because it doesn't seem
to work the way I expect.

Basically I have one virtual ip address(a.b.c.1) that I want two machines
(machine A has IP address a.b.c.10 and machine B has IP address a.b.c.11).
The address are configured as hme0. I created alias hme0:1 on both
machine(ifconfig hme0:1 plumb). Spread is running fine on both machines.

In wackamole.conf file, if I have
vip a.b.c.1
of a.b.c.1
:
interface hme0:1

It complains about "Mar 20 17:07:17 gato Wackamole[13951]: [ID 835603
daemon.notice] set of all virtual ips missing in conf file".

If I use:
vip a.b.c.1
of a.b.c.1-2
:
interface hme0:1

and started wackamole in machine A, it gets the a.b.c.1 address.
Then when I started wackamole in machine B, it takes a.b.c.1 from machine
B. And machine A's hme0:1 would disappear. If I kill the wachamole process
in machine B, the hme0:1 interface also disapper. Then nothing happens
afterward.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I do the failover from machine A to
machine B and vice versa with the aliased virtual IP address.

Thanks!

Alex
config problem [ In reply to ]
Try the CVS version (available for download). And also, it supports
only Solaris 8 and up. So, if you are using Solaris 2.6 or 7 you will
have all sorts of problems.

On Wednesday, March 20, 2002, at 08:38 PM, Alex Lee wrote:
> I need some help to figure out how wachamole works because it doesn't
> seem
> to work the way I expect.
>
> Basically I have one virtual ip address(a.b.c.1) that I want two
> machines
> (machine A has IP address a.b.c.10 and machine B has IP address
> a.b.c.11).
> The address are configured as hme0. I created alias hme0:1 on both
> machine(ifconfig hme0:1 plumb). Spread is running fine on both machines.
>
> In wackamole.conf file, if I have
> vip a.b.c.1
> of a.b.c.1
> :
> interface hme0:1
>
> It complains about "Mar 20 17:07:17 gato Wackamole[13951]: [ID 835603
> daemon.notice] set of all virtual ips missing in conf file".
>
> If I use:
> vip a.b.c.1
> of a.b.c.1-2
> :
> interface hme0:1
>
> and started wackamole in machine A, it gets the a.b.c.1 address.
> Then when I started wackamole in machine B, it takes a.b.c.1 from
> machine
> B. And machine A's hme0:1 would disappear. If I kill the wachamole
> process
> in machine B, the hme0:1 interface also disapper. Then nothing happens
> afterward.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? How can I do the failover from machine A to
> machine B and vice versa with the aliased virtual IP address.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alex

Theo Schlossnagle
Principal Consultant
OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/
Phone: +1 301 776 6376 Fax: +1 410 880 4879
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E 491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984
2047R/33131B65/71 F7 95 64 49 76 5D BA 3D 90 B9 9F BE 27 24 E7
config problem [ In reply to ]
Alex,

I had the same problem, basically wackamole won't work without a
range of IP addresses given in the of statement. To make this a
single IP address set of to:
of a.b.c.1-1

This solved the problem for me when I was testing.

Later
Andrew

Important Notice:

tatts.com Pty Ltd does not represent or warrant that the
integrity of this communication or any attachments have
been maintained nor that the communication or attachments
are free of errors, virus, interception or interference.

The information contained in this communication and any
attachments is confidential information and is intended only
for the use of the person or entity to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the named or intended recipient of this
communication or of the information attached to or contained
herein, then you are warned that any use, review,
retransmission, distribution, copying or other dissemination
of this communication itself or of the information attached
to or contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error or are not the named
recipient, please immediately advise tatts.com by return
e-mail or telephone on +(61) (3) 9277 4000 and delete and
destroy the original communication, any attachments and
all copies thereof.
config problem [ In reply to ]
The CVS version doesn't suffer from that shortcoming. We are working
out the details of rolling the current CVS version into a formal
release. There are many details remaining and I personally haven't had
the opportunity to test it on anything but FreeBSD.

The CVS version allows almost everything on the wishlist from earlier.
This particular feature would be specifying IP addresses and interface
it is suppsed to be "plumbed" in a completely non-contiguous range.
This is required for doing router or transparent bridge failover (which
is what we are doing with FreeBSD and wackamole).

I have two FreeBSD boxes running wackamole sitting on a 100Mbs uplink.
The failover is "subsecond" if I just yank the powercord on one of the
machines.

config problem [ In reply to ]
> The CVS version doesn't suffer from that shortcoming. We are working=20
> out the details of rolling the current CVS version into a formal=20
> release. There are many details remaining and I personally=20
> haven't had=20
> the opportunity to test it on anything but FreeBSD.
>=20
> The CVS version allows almost everything on the wishlist from=20
> earlier. =20
> This particular feature would be specifying IP addresses and=20
> interface=20
> it is suppsed to be "plumbed" in a completely non-contiguous range. =20
> This is required for doing router or transparent bridge=20
> failover (which=20
> is what we are doing with FreeBSD and wackamole).
>=20
> I have two FreeBSD boxes running wackamole sitting on a=20
> 100Mbs uplink. =20
> The failover is "subsecond" if I just yank the powercord on=20
> one of the=20
> machines.

Sounds cool, I'll definitley keep an eye open for when the new version
gets released. Haven't had much of a chance lately to play around
with it due to this pesky work commitments thing. :-)

Keep up the good work.

Later
Andrew

config problem [ In reply to ]
Andrew,

That's a cool trick. :) Do you have to "plumb" the interfaces before
wackamole start assigning address to it? Someone told me I don't have to.
But if I don't, no address get assigned.

Thanks!

Alex

config problem [ In reply to ]
> Andrew,
>=20
> That's a cool trick. :) Do you have to "plumb" the interfaces before
> wackamole start assigning address to it? Someone told me I=20
> don't have to.
> But if I don't, no address get assigned.
>=20
> Thanks!
>=20
> Alex

Alex,

To be honest I can't remember whether or not I had to plumb the
interfaces, (the security admin has stolen my test box because
it had a quad fast ethernet card :-( )

I know that I did plumb the interfaces, but that was before I
found the need to set OF correctly (thus they were already plumbed
when I started).

config problem [ In reply to ]
Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> The CVS version allows almost everything on the wishlist from earlier.
> This particular feature would be specifying IP addresses and interface
> it is suppsed to be "plumbed" in a completely non-contiguous range.
> This is required for doing router or transparent bridge failover (which
> is what we are doing with FreeBSD and wackamole).

Oooh. Would you care to go into a little more detail about how this
works?

Cheers,

Ben.

--