Mailing List Archive

DirectoryIndex Problem
I have finally tracked down the problem of getting File not Found errors
http://lists.backhand.org/pipermail/backhand-users/2002-January/000654.html
http://lists.backhand.org/pipermail/backhand-users/2002-February/000693.html
http://lists.backhand.org/pipermail/backhand-users/2002-April/000819.html

basically. what is happening is I am getting apache log errors for
/index.php
when I am accessing
/path/to/www/index.php

I am only getting these errors when accessing
http://mysite/
and not
http://mysite/index.php

Same problem for accessing / vs. /index.html

my DirectoryIndex in httpd.conf is nothing special:
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

has anyone else run into this problem and know how to get around it

I have two servers, both running
Apache/1.3.24 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux mod_backhand/1.2.1 PHP/4.1.2

thanks
daniel
Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
Daniel,

I did have the same results than you. Whatever the encapsultation used
for html files: Directory or Files... For these tests I'm using 2
Solaris 8 boxes running the latest greatest Apache 1.3 + backhand.
The candidacy funtions used are so simple...:

backhand byAge
backhand byRandom

http://www.website.com/test.html will work perfectly
http://www.website.com/index.html will generate random file not found
http://www.website.com/ will generate random file not found

It is interesting to observe that using the byLoad function decrease the
number of "File not found" produced. E.g:

backhand byAge
backhand byRandom
backhand byLoad

Under the assumption that two frontier servers were may be not
sufficient, we used a slightly different configuration, adding a 3rd
servers. AS far as I remember the configuration was based on 1 frontier
server and 2 backends. All the HTTP requests were directed to the
frontier. The frontier server was load balancing the requests to the two
backend servers with the followind conf:

backhand byAge
backhand byRandom

And the random file not found never appeared.

Any idea?

Lionel Raynaud.

Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
I have this too -- I would love to figure out why so I can take those
"Backhand off" rules out of the config for default files!

Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
> http://www.website.com/test.html will work perfectly
> http://www.website.com/index.html will generate random file not found
> http://www.website.com/ will generate random file not found

Can you explain your setup? I'm wondering if one of your machines is
out of sync. I bet there's one machine in your cluster that's
generating the 404's and because you're using byRandom, it looks like
random 404's. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden
Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
It's definitely my second server that is causing it ... I have a www1 that
has the external interface, as well as www2 that is connected to www1 via
private network.

Richard

Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
taking about byRandom seems to have worked

my set up is two debian woody machines, so both have the same version of
apache/backhand
two machiness total. I don't get any 404 errors on the second machine.
This is even under extremely light load.

Using ab with 1000 requests 30 at a time
300 to first machine work fine
200 to second machine work fine
500 404 errors on first machine

<IfModule mod_backhand.c>
UnixSocketDir /var/run/libapache-mod-backhand
MulticastStats 225.220.221.20:4445,1
AcceptStats 216.133.246.64/27
</IfModule>

<VirualHost ip>
<FilesMatch "\.php$">
Backhand byBusyChildren
Backhand byRandom
</FilesMatch>
</VirtualHost>

I am having sligtly different behaviour in that request to index.php
work fine:
http://www.website.com/test.php will work perfectly
http://www.website.com/index.php will work perfectly
http://www.website.com/ will generate file not found

I changed the FileMatch setup to
<FilesMatch "\.php$">
Backhand byBusyChildren
Backhand byLoad
</FilesMatch>

and the errors went away - ab reports 0 404 errors.

why is byRandom sending requests to /index.php instead of
/path/to/www/index.php?

Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
try taking out byRandom everywhere.
it seems to have worked for me.

Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
> try taking out byRandom everywhere.
> it seems to have worked for me.

Hmmm... put back in byRandom and add removeSelf before byRandom and
see if that fixes things. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden
Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
this produces lots of errors:
<FilesMatch "\.php$">
Backhand byBusyChildren
Backhand byRandom
</FilesMatch>

this produced no errors:
<FilesMatch "\.php$">
Backhand byBusyChildren
Backhand removeSelf
Backhand byRandom
</FilesMatch>

Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
> this produces lots of errors:
> <FilesMatch "\.php$">
> Backhand byBusyChildren
> Backhand byRandom
> </FilesMatch>

Probably because Self didn't have the file...

> this produced no errors:
> <FilesMatch "\.php$">
> Backhand byBusyChildren
> Backhand removeSelf
> Backhand byRandom
> </FilesMatch>

Because you're no longer requesting to the machine that's doing the
proxying. :~) -sc

--
Sean Chittenden
Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
self does have the file.
there are only two machines, and both of them have all the files.

the apache log says the request is going to
/index.php
instead of
/path/to/www/index.php

apache should NEVER be sending requests to
/index.php

Re: DirectoryIndex Problem [ In reply to ]
> self does have the file.
> there are only two machines, and both of them have all the files.
>
> the apache log says the request is going to
> /index.php
> instead of
> /path/to/www/index.php
>
> apache should NEVER be sending requests to
> /index.php

Apache will only log URI, not the full path to the file. Is
/path/to/www/ your document root? -sc

--
Sean Chittenden