Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] backhanding on private network
I've got a question for anyone who's had experience with mod_backhand and
public/private networks. I've been reading this section of the FAQ:

http://www.backhand.org/mod_backhand/FAQ.shtml#question11

and it seems to imply that you can proxy a request over the
internal network, but send the reply out to a public network, using a
MulticastStats directive like the following:

MulticastStats 10.0.0.4 10.0.0.255:4445

Am I reading that right? Currently, we have webservers with two
interfaces, one public and one private. These are our directives:

MulticastStats 10.255.255.255:4445
AcceptStats 10.0.0.0/8

So, mod_backhand 1.2.0 is broadcasting over the internal network, but is
advertising its public interfaces--i.e., the real hostnames are showing up
on the backhand status page. So I assume the proxying is being done over
the external network, and the logs seem to confirm that it is
working, because I get entries like these in my Apache error log:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/pdf, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-excel,
application/msword, */*
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
BackhandProxied: 1.x.x.x

I'd like to move the proxying to the internal network, if possible, since
it will remove a little latency.

So, this would be the chain of events (IP addresses changed to protect the
innocent):

1) client makes request to webserver at 1.1.1.1

2) 1.1.1.1, which also has an address of 10.0.0.1 on the internal
network, proxies request over the internal network to 10.0.0.2.

3) 10.0.0.2 sends response to client via its external interface,
1.1.1.2.

If I change our MulticastStats line to this:

MulticastStats 10.0.0.1 10.255.255.255:4445

Will that have the desired effect?

Thanks-

James Ervin
UNC-Chapel Hill
[mod_backhand-users] backhanding on private network [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, December 5, 2001, at 02:44 PM, James Ervin wrote:
> So, mod_backhand 1.2.0 is broadcasting over the internal network, but is
> advertising its public interfaces--i.e., the real hostnames are showing
> up
> on the backhand status page. So I assume the proxying is being done over
> the external network, and the logs seem to confirm that it is
> working, because I get entries like these in my Apache error log:

mod_backhand advertises whatever interface is returned by a
gethostbyname(gethostname) on the system. so, type: "hostname" on your
box and ping the name it returns, that IP is the one mod_backhand uses
by default (unless instructed otherwise).

> If I change our MulticastStats line to this:
> MulticastStats 10.0.0.1 10.255.255.255:4445
> Will that have the desired effect?

Yup.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E 491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984