Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] Backhand not backhanding enough.
Hi, me again...

Decided to throw out our other general problem at the list...

We have our backhand set up with one main server, and currently four
slaves to be backhanded to... Sometimes, the main server likes to handle
almost all of the requests without sharing, thus slowing the site to a
crawl.

The other servers are reporting in, and have a comparatively low load avg
(about .3 compared to 7-13)

Our directives look like this:

Backhand removeSelf
Backhand byAge 10
Backhand byRandom

or more (bylogwin, byload, etc), but they never seem to work well.
The main server is set up to handle requests if it absolutely needs to..
it's just doing it when it really shouldn't. Is there any general symptom
for this? Any solutions? The data on the backhand page is never more than
a second old, servers don't hiccup, don't reboot... Any clues of what's
wrong?

(instead of doing the roundabout trick I mostly figured out, and theo
gracefully told me about, which was promptly thrown out the window when I
found out what the real issue was.)

Sorry for bugging people, thanks for your time,
-Alan