Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] Re: broadcasting and multicasting
# > If i have a cluster of 3 servers, each of them must have exactly the =
same applications (i mean the same cgi programms, ...), or not. I suppose=
yes.
#=20
# No necessarily. This completely depends on the rules you define for lo=
ad
# balancing. If a machine is particularily weak or has very little RAM a=
nd you
# have a set of requests that would stress the machine too heavily, it sh=
ould be
# very easy to make sure that machine doesn't get that type of request (a=
nd thus
# the CGI would not _need_ to be installed there).
#=20
# A good example is architecture differences. Perhaps you have an applic=
ation
# that will only run on Sun and you have a cluster of 8 Intels and 2 Suns=
. If
# you named your machines www-x86-1, www-x86-2, ..., www-x86-8 and www-su=
n4u-1,
# www-sun4u-2, then you could say that for a certain class of requests th=
at the
# sun4u boxes are the only candidates:
#=20
# <Directory /path/to/64bit-sun4u-apps/>
# BackhandFromSO libexec/byHostname.so byHostname sun4u
# </Directory>
#=20
# If you don't like this particular method (it isn't the fastest), you ca=
n write
# your own candidacy function that will select the machines that you like.

ok but all the sun's must have the same applications. I mean i have my fi=
rst machine "machine1" whith a cgi script. In my browser, i want to look =
at http://machine1/cgi-bin/my_cgi. The lowset machine in term of charge i=
s "machine2" and the logs of this "machine2" tell me: 'script not found o=
r unable to stat: /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/my_cgi".
The good thing is that it is the correct machine that is contacted, but t=
his log means that i need a mirror of the cgi scripts of "machine1" to "m=
achine2", isn't it ?
Thanks

--
J=E9r=F4me
[mod_backhand-users] Re: broadcasting and multicasting [ In reply to ]
Jerome Tournier wrote:
> ok but all the sun's must have the same applications. I mean i have my first machine "machine1" whith a cgi script. In my browser, i want to look at http://machine1/cgi-bin/my_cgi. The lowset machine in term of charge is "machine2" and the logs of this "machine2" tell me: 'script not found or unable to stat: /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/my_cgi".
> The good thing is that it is the correct machine that is contacted, but this log means that i need a mirror of the cgi scripts of "machine1" to "machine2", isn't it ?

Well, if you want the script to run on machine2, it has to exist on machine2
;-)

Yes you need all of you CGIs everywhere that they could possibly be invoked.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/A8EBCF8F/13BD 8C08 6BE2 629A 527E 2DC2 72C2 AD05 A8EB CF8F