Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] Dumb easy question
How do I not backhand a certain subdirectory?
Currently I am bacjhanding all of my document root.. But would like to not
do a few directories.. ;)
I know it's easy .. Just forget the command...

thanks
[mod_backhand-users] Dumb easy question [ In reply to ]
Well your response is not what I had in mind, but useful for something
else.. Unless I am just off base.
But I want all of my site backhanded on all the servers except
/notbackhandedcontent/
so if i hit www1.com/notbackhandedcontent/ it will run off that machine...

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Theo E. Schlossnagle wrote:

|Not so dumb question at all... Someone asked for a "turn me off" feature and I
|had it in my research branch for a while, but somehow it never made it into
|the production branch.
|
|If you want to be able to use:
|Backhand off
|
|then snag mod_backhand-1.1.1pre2 from the download section off
|http://www.backhand.org/mod_backhand/download/mod_backhand.tar.gz
|
|Otherwise you can hack something by useing byHostname and supply a regex that
|doesn't match anything:
|BackhandFromSO libexec/byHostname.so byHostname dontnameamachinethis
|
|Unless you are very eccentric naming your machines, the above line will work.
|
|Alternatively you can write the one line (I used two for clarity) candidacy
|function that does this and use it in a BackhandFromSO directive :-)
|
|This prerelease also includes better error handling, Martin Domig's bySession
|function and some code clean up. The ChangeLog is in the tarball, so read it
|if you care for more details.
|
|Beta testers are appreciated! Aside from the "Backhand off" and "Backhand
|bySession [identifier]", this code should be *more* stable that 1.1.0. I am
|still integrating a few new candidacy functions in before I tag and roll
|1.1.1.
|
|Adam wrote:
|> How do I not backhand a certain subdirectory?
|> Currently I am bacjhanding all of my document root.. But would like to not
|> do a few directories.. ;)
|> I know it's easy .. Just forget the command...

|--

[mod_backhand-users] Dumb easy question [ In reply to ]

[mod_backhand-users] Dumb easy question [ In reply to ]
I turned backhand off on certain directories by Aliasing (or
mod_rewriting) the directory to a path that was outside my backhanded
docroot... Something like:

Alias /img /usr/local/apache/nobackhand/img
<Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs>
Backhand byAge
[SNIP]
</Directory>

Now a "GET /img/abc.gif" request will map to
/usr/local/apache/nobackhand/img/abc.gif and get serviced by the local
machine.

You could probably even make nobackhand/img a symlink, if moving your
content outside the docroot would cause problems;

Does that make sense?

-Blake

[mod_backhand-users] Dumb easy question [ In reply to ]
Hmm. Maybe I don't understand what you were saying or I was unclear.

The problem is that if you have:
Backhand byAge
Backhand byLoad

defined under /path/to/htdocs

Then there is no way to have /path/to/htdocs/localonly to *not* be
backhanded... Right?

Well, the best (and most effecient) way is to use Backhand off. But if you do
not have a machine named "noservernamedthis" then you can put the following in
the .htaccess or <Directory> section for /path/to/htdocs/localonly:
BackhandFromSO libexec/byHostname.so byHostname noservernamedthis

This will tell backhand to only direct the content in *that* directory to
machines that contain the name "noservernamedthis." Since you don't have a
server named that, it will end up removing *all* of the candidates and be
forced to handle it locally.

This this is what you were looking for, no?

[mod_backhand-users] Dumb easy question [ In reply to ]
Oh, Ok. same thing then.
I thought there may be an easy way with a <directoy> section in httpd.conf
to no backhand this section...
I'll try your posted method ;)

thanks!

[mod_backhand-users] Dumb easy question [ In reply to ]
Hmm. I like this idea too!
thanks

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Blake D. Mills IV wrote:

|I turned backhand off on certain directories by Aliasing (or
|mod_rewriting) the directory to a path that was outside my backhanded
|docroot... Something like:
|
| Alias /img /usr/local/apache/nobackhand/img
| <Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs>
| Backhand byAge
| [SNIP]
| </Directory>
|
|Now a "GET /img/abc.gif" request will map to
|/usr/local/apache/nobackhand/img/abc.gif and get serviced by the local
|machine.
|
|You could probably even make nobackhand/img a symlink, if moving your
|content outside the docroot would cause problems;
|
|Does that make sense?

|-Blake

|> Well your response is not what I had in mind, but useful for something
|> else.. Unless I am just off base.
|> But I want all of my site backhanded on all the servers except
|> /notbackhandedcontent/
|> so if i hit www1.com/notbackhandedcontent/ it will run off that machine...
|>

|> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Theo E. Schlossnagle wrote:
|>
|> |Not so dumb question at all... Someone asked for a "turn me off" feature and I
|> |had it in my research branch for a while, but somehow it never made it into
|> |the production branch.
|> |
|> |If you want to be able to use:
|> |Backhand off
|> |
|> |then snag mod_backhand-1.1.1pre2 from the download section off
|> |http://www.backhand.org/mod_backhand/download/mod_backhand.tar.gz
|> |
|> |Otherwise you can hack something by useing byHostname and supply a regex that
|> |doesn't match anything:
|> |BackhandFromSO libexec/byHostname.so byHostname dontnameamachinethis
|> |
|> |Unless you are very eccentric naming your machines, the above line will work.
|> |
|> |Alternatively you can write the one line (I used two for clarity) candidacy
|> |function that does this and use it in a BackhandFromSO directive :-)
|> |
|> |This prerelease also includes better error handling, Martin Domig's bySession
|> |function and some code clean up. The ChangeLog is in the tarball, so read it
|> |if you care for more details.
|> |
|> |Beta testers are appreciated! Aside from the "Backhand off" and "Backhand
|> |bySession [identifier]", this code should be *more* stable that 1.1.0. I am
|> |still integrating a few new candidacy functions in before I tag and roll
|> |1.1.1.
|> |

[mod_backhand-users] Dumb easy question [ In reply to ]
Does that make sense? All too much. Leave it to me to overlook the elegant
solutions :-)

[mod_backhand-users] Dumb easy question [ In reply to ]
I wouln't exactly call it elegant... a 'Backhand Off' directive would
make a lot more sense. I'm using backhand as a front end proxy to a
group of heavy mod_perl servers. The example below is a simple
version of my configuration. It allows images to be served directly
from the lightweight backhand apaches. Since images dont need the
power of mod_perl it seems silly to pass the request off to the
heavies.

-Blake