everything (and turned around).

- i should not recompile apache (statment from my boss)

- from extern it must look like there is only one webserver

You think, i can make it with mod_backhand? Must i use it on both
webservers?

hope to get answer

joerg niestroj
university of applied sience bielefeld, germany
[mod_backhand-users] loading balance on two webservers [ In reply to ]
You have said you need "load-balancing", but none of you bullets imply
that is what you are looking for. Sounds to me like you want seamless
high availability -- different from load balancing.

mod_backhand does not attempt to tackle this problem. There are many
products available tha handle high availability... No sense reinventing
the wheel. Try:

fake (for 2 servers)
Linux Virtual Server (Linux kernel facility)
BIG/ip
Arrowpoint
Cisco Localdirector
Alteon
Foundry (ServerIron)
Cisco Catalyst (the newer ones)
The list goes on....

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/A8EBCF8F/13BD 8C08 6BE2 629A 527E 2DC2 72C2 AD05 A8EB CF8F
[mod_backhand-users] loading balance on two webservers [ In reply to ]
mod_backhand is a tool. It won't solve all of your problems. It can
definitely solve your load balancing problems and allow you utilize your
different machine differently. But, it will not (at all) address load
balancing. If you want all php scripts to be balanced between two of
the machines with a bias towards one of them, this shoul dbe very easy
with mod_backhand. You will need another tool for high availability.

[mod_backhand-users] loading balance on two webservers [ In reply to ]
Hi,

yes, we need high availability, too.

But we need also loading balance. There are some Perl-scripts for
realtime logfile-monitoring of different firewalls, that have to run on
our second webserver, so this one must have less web-traffic. And
there are some php/html sites with connection to a mysql
database on a third server, that manliy have to run on the existing
webserver.

you think, mod_backhand isn=B4t the choise for this problem?

joerg niestroj

[mod_backhand-users] loading balance on two webservers [ In reply to ]
Hi,

i=B4ve just read, that SuSE will put the mod_backhand as a package
in their new distribution 7.0. Great! So we will use mod_backhand
for the load balance.

Can you tell me, if there is any software-based solution for high
availability (a searched the web for the expressions in your first
answer, but found nothing).

thank you

[mod_backhand-users] loading balance on two webservers [ In reply to ]
joenst@zv.fh-bielefeld.de wrote:
> i´ve just read, that SuSE will put the mod_backhand as a package
> in their new distribution 7.0. Great! So we will use mod_backhand
> for the load balance.

Where did you read this? That is great. I would like to read about his
too.

> Can you tell me, if there is any software-based solution for high
> availability (a searched the web for the expressions in your first
> answer, but found nothing).

Linux Virtual Server:
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/
Fake:
http://www.us.vergenet.net/linux/fake/

I believe all the others that I mentioned are either hardware or "black
box" solutions. Alteon, Arrowpoint, Foundry, Cisco are all hardware
switching fabrics. The BIP/ip approach is a "black boxed" BSD kernel
(with small modifications and some userland daemons) that works like
Linux Virtual Server (runs on Intel).