Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] Re: mod_backhand with a mod_perl response handler
Kirk,

I never got this mail! I just found it in the archives! I am so
embarrassed. My MX must have hickuped.

> Two web servers situated inside of a firewall. The web servers have
> multiple virtual hosts defined. mod_backhand seems to work just fine for
> any regular old file request on any of the defined virtual servers.
> However, when a request comes in for a URL that actually gets handled by a
> mod_perl response handler, things break.

The only thing I can guess is that the handler for that request is
getting set wrong.That is really strange. Make sure to use the
1.0.9pre1 release. It is stable and the only reason it is not 1.0.9 is
becuase I want to get aggressive buffering into the 1.0.9 release (http
acceleration).

> If mod_backhand decides to let the receiving web server handle the
> request, things work right. However, when it decides to redirect to the
> other server, I am getting a 400 error -- bad request. The fact that this
> error gets thrown, however, doesn't stop Apache from handling the request
> anyway, which leads to my mod_perl response handler doing its thing and
> returning content.
> The net result is that the browser receives a reponse that starts with
> something like this:
>
> HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 07:52:23 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) balanced_by_mod_backhand/1.0.9pre1 PHP/3.0.16
> mod_perl/1.22
> Connection: close
>
> which is then followed by the expected content.

This looks really close to the Chunked encoding bug in 1.0.7... But, it
could be something different. I will have to write some mod_perl
handlers and try to reproduce your issues. This is a serious problem
and I will be looking into it... Let me know if it is has resolved
itself in 1.0.9pre1... It would be really frustrating to try to track
down a problem that isn't there :)

> This only occurs on URL's which are handled exclusively by a mod_perl
> response handler.
>
> The other thing that I am noticing is that when using the backhand-test
> script to test redirection, when redirection occurs, the address for the
> host that it claims I have connected to is wrong. It returns the IP
> address of _my_ machine, the one that is making the request, as the server
> that handled the request. This, of course, is not correct.

Hmm... You you have the and other modules installed (like
mod_add_forwarded_by) that could feasibly muck with the remoteip.addr
like mod_backhand does?

--
Theo Schlossnagle
33131B65/2047/71 F7 95 64 49 76 5D BA 3D 90 B9 9F BE 27 24 E7