Mailing List Archive

Server List
Hi group,

I have this module installed and apparently working as
expected. I have one as the ‘director’ and two
configured as the ‘real servers’.

What's happening is the /backhand/ page shows first
one server, then the other. So its finds both but not
both at once.

The age of both is always 0 or 1… Its as if it simply
doesn’t remember what server it just found, or only
has space to hold one… anyone came across this before?

Thanks for any light that can be shed

'Director'
<IfModule mod_backhand.c>
UnixSocketDir /usr/local/apache/backhand
MulticastStats 128.220.221.255:4445
MulticastStats 192.168.0.255:4445
AcceptStats 192.168.0.0/24

<Location "/backhand/">
SetHandler backhand-handler
</Location>
<Directory "/home/backhand">
AllowOverride None
Options None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Backhand byAge
Backhand byLoad
</Directory>
</IfModule>

'Each Server'
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /home/backhand
ServerName {server name}
ErrorLog logs/error_log
CustomLog logs/access_log common
DirectoryIndex index.html

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
Server List [ In reply to ]
mod_backhand is a peer-based system... peers don't like each other when
they aren't peers. Make sure _all_ your systems are configured the
same. It is _possible_ to have different configurations, but that is
advanced and you're on your own.

Do an ifconfig on your boxes and make sure that 192.168.0.255 is indeed
your broadcast address. Review your ipfw/iptables/ipf rules to make
sure you aren't blocking udp broadcasts to those addresses. And make
sure that in the /backhand/ page you are seeing the "right" IP
addresses -- if you aren't you need to fix your machine "identity
problem" or use the two parameter version of MulticastStats

On Apr 16, 2004, at 8:34 PM, Thomas Inglis wrote:
> What's happening is the /backhand/ page shows first
> one server, then the other. So its finds both but not
> both at once.
>
> 'Director'
> <IfModule mod_backhand.c>
> UnixSocketDir /usr/local/apache/backhand
> MulticastStats 128.220.221.255:4445

Don't use addresses that aren't on your network. Delete the above and
keep the one below.

> MulticastStats 192.168.0.255:4445
> AcceptStats 192.168.0.0/24
>
> <Location "/backhand/">
> SetHandler backhand-handler
> </Location>
> <Directory "/home/backhand">
> AllowOverride None
> Options None
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> Backhand byAge
> Backhand byLoad
> </Directory>
> </IfModule>
>
> 'Each Server'
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> DocumentRoot /home/backhand
> ServerName {server name}
> ErrorLog logs/error_log
> CustomLog logs/access_log common
> DirectoryIndex index.html
> <IfModule mod_backhand.c>
> UnixSocketDir /usr/local/apache/backhand
> MulticastStats 192.168.0.255:4445

You need AcceptStats here.

> </IfModule>

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// Postal Engine -- http://www.postalengine.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth
Server List [ In reply to ]
Thanks for a speedy response Theo, appreciated.

Well... they are dell blades huh so they match almost
exactly... only slightly differing in memory.

Have done as you suggested and now i get the same
result but now its the balancer itself and only one
server that shows in /backhand/.

One clue here i think is it doesnt actually forward
anything. It serves the default apache page and does
not forward to the real server.

Which is listed wrongly... why is its IP 127.0.0.1?

0 enterprise 0 127.0.0.1:80 1006 MB 929 MB 5/5 0 [0]
1760167 2 0.000/1 1.000

Tam

Server List [ In reply to ]
And make sure that in the /backhand/ page you are
seeing the "right" IP addresses -- if you aren't you
need to fix your machine "identity problem" or use the
two parameter version of MulticastStats

And in fact you did already say that ;-) How though?

Server List [ In reply to ]

Server List [ In reply to ]
It was indeed that Theo and setting the dual IP option
worked a treat.

I wasnt being lazy huh, just tired after a long day at
it. Sorry if i came across that way.

Working sweetly now and thanks for the nudge in the
right direction ;-)

Server List [ In reply to ]
On Apr 16, 2004, at 9:22 PM, Thomas Inglis wrote:

> Thanks for a speedy response Theo, appreciated.
>
> Well... they are dell blades huh so they match almost
> exactly... only slightly differing in memory.

I when I said the configuration should be the same, I wasn't talking
about the homogeneity of the the hardware. I was trying to point at
the Apache configurations. The Apache configurations should be almost
identical. mod_backhand is a peer-based system; any system that
receives a request from the client can choose (via rules to specify) to
proxy that request to a peer machine for service. The fact that you
have decided to only put one machine in a position to field
client-originating requests doesn't matter too much to backhand... It
just means that one machine will receive the requests and (perhaps)
forward those on to one of the other two peer instances. If the
removeSelf candidacy function was used, then the front machine would
always pass the request along to one of its peers.

> Have done as you suggested and now i get the same
> result but now its the balancer itself and only one
> server that shows in /backhand/.
>
> One clue here i think is it doesnt actually forward
> anything. It serves the default apache page and does
> not forward to the real server.
>
> Which is listed wrongly... why is its IP 127.0.0.1?
>
> 0 enterprise 0 127.0.0.1:80 1006 MB 929 MB 5/5 0 [0]
> 1760167 2 0.000/1 1.000

That's a good question, why is it 127.0.0.1? The machine thinks it is
called "enterprise". Try logging onto that machine and typing:
ping enterprise

Does it ping 127.0.0.1? If so, that's the machine's IP address. (hint:
your /etc/hosts is likely not correct).

If for one reason or another you can't get it to resolve the IP address
you want, then you can use the two parameter variant of the
MulticastStats directive to explicitly announce the IP address you
desire from each machine.