Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] mod_backhand ...
Edward Tsang <edward@kitkit.net> writes:

> Theo E. Schlossnagle <theos@cnds.jhu.edu>
> Edward,
> I Cced in the backhand-users list becuase I get this question often
> and thought it would be beneficial to share.

Yes. Let share our discussion so that other user can also know how to
solve
it.

> Sounds good. If you can see the logo, there aren't any permissions
> issues. You should see a table as well.. My guess is that the table is
> empty? It has column headers, but no hosts? In that case, it sounds
> like you AcceptStats is not set up right. If you have two networks on
> each box, this can happen pretty easily. I built out the FAQ a little
> bit on this subject.

My 2 experiemental web servers only have 1 ethernet NIC except the local
loopback.
For the backhand handler, I can only see the logo only. The column
header
did not display at all.

> If you are using Mulicast, then you need to make sure it is sending the
> packets out the right interface (or determine which interface they are
> leaving and add that network with an AcceptStats directive. Make sure
> that You MulticastStats directive is correct as well. Remember, it is
> multicast (or broadcast) so you can't just specify A machine's IP.. You
> have to use a REAL IP broadcast address (shown by /sbin/ifconfig -a) or
> a real IP multicast address (which is a little more complicated to
> explain).

I will try to check the configuration again.

> Virtual hosts? Hmm... That depends on how you configure them I guess. I
> use it with virtual hosts. IT works in <Directory> clauses and since
> they work in VHs then so does mod_backhand. Ex:
>
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
> ServerName www.exmaple.com
> DocumentRoot /var/apache/www.exmaple.com/htdocs
> <Directory /var/apache/www.exmaple.com/htdocs>
> ... yadda yadda yadda ...
> Backhand byAge 3
> Backhand byLoad 1
> </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
> ServerName test.exmaple.com
> DocumentRoot /var/apache/test.exmaple.com/htdocs
> <Directory /var/apache/test.exmaple.com/htdocs>
> ... yadda yadda yadda ...
> Backhand byAge 3
> Backhand byRandom
> Backhand byLogWindow
> Backhand byLoad 1
> </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> The above should work jsut fine.. Of course, you'll notice that the
> Directoies are different.

How about the handler location ?
You told me before that if I add backhand handler in Virtual host, it
will
make backhand confusing. (Made backhand forward request to another web
server)...

Would you mind to sent one of your httpd.conf for me ? I want to read it
for
a reference...

Regards,
Edward.