Mailing List Archive

content aware switching
Hi users,

I have been using mod_backhand for load balancing.
Now I want to use content aware dispatching techique.
Suppose I have 3 servers-x,y,z.
The web content is not fully replicated on these
servers.
In fact I have divided whole web content to three
parts
each served by one server.

Now here there are two cases for dispatching.
1. If a server doesn't know the contents with other
servers.
In this case Iam using the directive "removeSelf"
so that the server which contains the data will
serve.
2. If a server knows the content what other servers
have.
Here which directive will be useful to redirect
the request to a particular server?
what is the difference between HTTPRedirectToName
and HTTPRedirectToIP?
Can I use these directives for this purpose?
Or any other alternative?
Please reply me with where I should put these
directives and with syntax.

thanks,
ravikumar

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

content aware switching [ In reply to ]
Ravi Kumar Munnangi wrote:

>Hi users,
>
> I have been using mod_backhand for load balancing.
>Now I want to use content aware dispatching techique.
>Suppose I have 3 servers-x,y,z.
>The web content is not fully replicated on these
>servers.
>In fact I have divided whole web content to three
>parts
>each served by one server.
>
> Now here there are two cases for dispatching.
>1. If a server doesn't know the contents with other
>servers.
> In this case Iam using the directive "removeSelf"
> so that the server which contains the data will
>serve.
>2. If a server knows the content what other servers
>have.
> Here which directive will be useful to redirect
> the request to a particular server?
> what is the difference between HTTPRedirectToName
> and HTTPRedirectToIP?
> Can I use these directives for this purpose?
> Or any other alternative?
> Please reply me with where I should put these
>directives and with syntax.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish...

(1) ou say you have three servers and the a given box only knows that it
doesn't have it, so you use removeSelf. This is flawed with more than
two servers. mod_backhand will not proxy any request that has already
be proxied by backhand -- to prevent ping-ponging. So, if one of three
servers doesn't have the content in question, it has a 50/50 chance of
directing to a server that does have it. If it misdirects, that is the
end of life for that request.

(2) HTTPRedirect* are special in that they don't proxy anything. They
redirect on an HTTP level by sending a Loction: HTTP header back. Use
them with care.

It sounds to me like you could do this:

www-1 has content under /1/
www-2 has content under /2/
www-3 has content under /3/

<Directory /path/to/1/>
BackhandFromSO byHostname.so byHostname www-1
</Directory>
<Directory /path/to/2/>
BackhandFromSO byHostname.so byHostname www-2
</Directory>
<Directory /path/to/3/>
BackhandFromSO byHostname.so byHostname www-3
</Directory>

--
// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/