Mailing List Archive

NT Broadcaster problems
We have just set up NT Backhand Broadcaster on 4 XP machines

We have two SuSE Linux machines running Apache 1.3.28 and mod_backhand 1.2.2
which are correctly working.

When the status page is accessed (http://localhost/backhand/) the stats that
are returned from the 2 Linux machines are correct, but the stats which are
returned from the XP machines look garbled.
The hostname and age appear correct.
The IP address is correct but the port is listed as 0 not 80
Total Mem is listed as 1MB; Avail Mem is listed as 1073201152 MB.
Arriba is 0; #CPUs is 1000; Load/HWM is 0.000/0 and CPU Idle is 0.000

Checking the registry settings on the XP machines everything looks good -
the Arriba score is 673266000.

Backhanding is working between the two linux boxes but it never goes to the
XP machines. Instead an apache Internal Server Error is received. Checking
the apache error log an entry of "Request exceeding the limit of internal
redirects" is listed.

Is this anything to do with the NT Backhand stats being garbled - ie. a port
of 0 meaning the server cannot proxy?

Using HTTPRedirectByName works; HTTPRedirectByIP fails (I assume again due
to the port number)

Any ideas would be greatly received

Neil Dawkins

http://www.star.net.uk
NT Broadcaster problems [ In reply to ]
Theo, have there been any changes to the broadcast data structure in newer version of Backhand? If so the NT Backhand Broadcaster code would need to be updated to include the changes.

Other than that make sure your settings in the registry for NT BHB are correct. It looks like the broadcast data structure after the IP address is having a problem. This could be because a required piece of data is missing in the registry or if the backhand data structure changed, and the change was not duplicated to NT BHB.

Let's wait for a message from Theo confirming if there were / were not changes to the broadcast data structure, and meanwhile you can double check your settings. If neither of those two yeild any results I can take a look at the NTBHB code -- it's been a while...

Later
Rob

NT Broadcaster problems [ In reply to ]
We have managed to resolve the problem, and all is now working correctly.

By packet sniffing the broadcasts from both the linux machines and the XP
machines we discovered that the data section of the XP packet was 4 bytes
longer than that of the linux machines.

Hence, we patched the NTBHB code to reduce the size of the data section to
100 bytes to match that of the packets from the linux machines.
t_time needed to be padded to 64 bits.
The structure of the sckaddr_in structure differed between XP and linux, so
we adjusted it to reproduce a linux packet.

Rob, The patch is not elegant, but it works for us. If you would like us to
post the patch then let me know.

Neil

http://www.star.net.uk
NT Broadcaster problems [ In reply to ]
Yes, post it to the list. Thanks for tracking it down. It all worked fine when tested on Win NT / 2k. Did the size of the time_t or sckaddr_in structure change between NT and XP?

Later
Rob