Mailing List Archive

Problems with DirectoryIndex and mod_backhand
Hey folks,

First of all, mod_backhand looks fantastic! I've managed to get it installed
on a small test network with two cluster nodes. And except the problem with
the incorrect number of servers being shown in the backhand status page
(documented in the FAQ), everything seems to work perfectly.

BUT... Im having a strange problem when a request is handled by
DirectoryIndex. Basically, a request for a directory comes in to nodeA.
Apache correctly identifies that index.cgi as the default file to return.
Now, if mod_backhand chooses to redirect this request to nodeB, then all is
well. BUT, if mod_backhand chooses to handle this request locally, it seems
to get confused about file-path to find that file- and apache throws back a
404.

In the error log, we find: "script not found or unable to stat:
/interface/secure/index.cgi"

Here, the file is actually located in "/www/interfaces/secure/index.cgi", so
it looks like the document root is being dropped.

I've been through the FAQ, the mailing-list archives, google, and even got
my hands dirty in some source code to no avail :( Interestingly, there's a
heap of comments in the code for mod_dir.c covering problems with the
internal redirect that takes place, and in particular, 'guessing' the
correct document root. Couldn't work out how this effects mod_backhand
though :(

Again, thanks for a great piece of software, and I appreciate any help/ideas
that you can share.

Cheers,

Bryan.

BACKHAND CONFIG
---------------
Backhand seems to be operating okay, except I had problems with loads of
"Interrupted system call: connect() timed out" messages appearing in my
error logs until I turned off Connection Pools.

BackhandConnectionPools off
UnixSocketDir /var/backhand
MulticastStats 10.255.255.255:4445
AcceptStats 10.0.0.0/24

Im also using the following inside my <Directory /www> block:

Backhand byAge
Backhand byRandom
Backhand byLogWindow
Backhand byLoad

APACHE CONFIG
-------------
Im running a basic apache build, with the following module configuration.
I've tried moving the AddModule line for backhand around, but it doesn't
seem to change anything.

ClearModuleList
AddModule mod_env.c
AddModule mod_log_config.c