Mailing List Archive

[mod_backhand-users] configuring mod_backhand
I seem to have problems in getting mod_backhand up and running. I have 2
Linux boxes running apache 1.3.12 and mod_backhand 1.0.8... but I can't
seem to get the parent to work with the child. Any direct or help is much
appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1. I have mod_backhand installed on two Linux boxes that I want to test
out load balancing. I want to start with 2 boxes and slowly add to the
cluster. The 2 ip addresses are 10.1.1.49 & 10.1.1.50 and here is the
httpd.conf of the "Parent" server ( 10.1.1.49 ) :

<Directory "/www/cgi-bin">
Allow Override None
Options None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Backhand byAge
Backhand byRandom
Backhand byLogWindow
Backhand byLoad
Backhand byCPU
</Directory>

IfModule mod_backhand.c>
UnixSocketDir /www/backhand

MulticastStats 10.1.1.0:4445

AcceptStats 10.1.1.0/24

<Location "/www/backhand/">
SetHandler backhand-handler
</Location>
<IfModule>

httpd.conf of "Child" server ( 10.1.1.50 )

<Directory "/www/cgi-bin">
Allow Override None
Options None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Backhand byAge
Backhand byRandom
Backhand byLogWindow
Backhand byLoad
Backhand byCPU
</Directory>

IfModule mod_backhand.c>
UnixSocketDir /www/backhand

# Pointing to the main server

MulticastStats 10.1.1.49:4445,1

<Location "/www/backhand/">
SetHandler backhand-handler
</Location>
<IfModule>

When I startup apache on both servers... they have similar notices in the
error_log :

[alert] setuid: trying to ste it to 99
[notice] mod_backhand: child at 5:591
[notice] mod_backhand: child at 6:592

2. I am having problems configuring httpd.conf because I only want to have
2-3 machines to start off with but I do not know if I setup the
MulticastStats and AcceptStats correctly. For example... I want to use
10.1.0.50 and 10.1.0.51 to start off... are my httpd.conf files correct? I
am also wondering what is "backhand-handler" it's default was = "/backhand"
which is not a directory or file.

3. I tested the "backhand-test" script but it only shows me the server I
hit... did not show any information for the other server so I am assuming
that I do not have it configured correctly.