Mailing List Archive

Problem with NTBHB
Hello,

I am trying to set up a mixed linux win2k environment.
I have up an running a backhand enabled linux whith apache 1.3.28.
Next I have installed the ntbhb program on a win2k machine.
Configured in regedit and starting in a dos box.
I get the result:

>$ bhBrodcast -run
> Broadcasting mod_backhand ...
> Hit enter ...

Viewing in registry I see a entry Arriba whith a reasonable value

However calling /backhand/ on my linux system doesn't show me the w2k
system.

My configuration is :
- on linux/apache :
------------------------
<IfModule mod_backhand.c>
UnixSocketDir /var/backhand/backhand
MulticastStats 192.168.69.255:4445
AcceptStats 192.168.69.0/24
</IfModule>
-----------------------
ifconfig eth0 shows :
eth0 Protokoll:Ethernet Hardware Adresse 00:08...
inet Adresse:192.168.69.98 Bcast:192.168.69.255
Maske:255.255.255.0
inet6 Adresse: fe80::208:c7ff:...
Gültigkeitsbereich:Verbindung
Kollisionen:1 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:100
RX bytes:3213952 (3.0 Mb) TX bytes:1492411 (1.4 Mb)
Interrupt:5 Basisadresse:0x4000

The registry on the w2k (IP 192.168.69.97)
is (don't know how to export in a readable way )
CerebraSoft Standard REG_SZ

- Backhand_Broadcast Standard REG_SZ
| Arriba REG_DWORD 0x14...(336633000)

- BH WIN01 (Standard) REG_SZ
ContactIP REG_SZ 192.168.69.97
ContactPort REG_SZ 80
HostName REG_SZ win 01
SendIP REG_SZ 192.168.69.255

The w2k is running a apache too (whithout mod_backhand! do I need it there
??).

And the w2k machine is running as vmware client with the linux system as a
host !

So, where are the w2k broadcasts going ?

Greetings

Rolf Schaufelberger
Problem with NTBHB [ In reply to ]
Rolf,

An interesting setup with VMware there. I hope that you are just using that
for testing, and will not be using that setup in production.

Your regedit entries don't mention the numCPU entry. You may need to have
that entry in the registry.

Other than that everything looks to be setup ok. It may be VMware causing
the problem because of it's "virtual ethernet" adapters. The next thing you
should do is use a packet sniffer to verify if the NTBHB is broadcasting
stats on the wire. You should also verify that from windows you can ping
your linux IP and from linux you can ping your windows IP.

Later
Rob

Problem with NTBHB [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Yes of course it's just for testing. I just don't have a extra hardware here
and wanted to do a quick testing. I'm also presuming that the problems have
their origin in the vmware environment.
Well, and I also thought about sniffing, but I don't know any sniffer running
under w2k. So now I'll organize a "real" (not virtual) w2k system next week
and see what happens.

Greetings

Rolf Schaufelberger
Problem with NTBHB [ In reply to ]
Googled for "windows packet sniffer". Third entry on the list was
Ethereal http://www.ethereal.com/ GPL unix & windows packet sniffer.

I don't know if VMware's ethernet drivers support packet sniffing, but you can try out Ethereal on your windows VM. The VM ware ethernet drivers can operate in 3 modes. NAT / host only / and "on network", where the vitual machine obtains and uses an IP address directly from the real network. I would use VM ware's driver in this mode. I would also do packet sniffing on BOTH the Windows VM (to see if NTBHB is broadcasting, and if the VMware driver is seeing packets at that level) and also on the unix host system (to see if the NTBHB packets are really getting through the VMware driver and onto the network.

Of course the best test is to setup a real environment instead of a virtual one, but if that is going to take a little while to get / setup the hardware you can look into doing the above approach.

Hope this helps.
Later
Rob