while my mozilla browser continues to try to hit the web server I was
on. Any ideas? I assume this is a mozilla issue, but...

Thanks.
Mozilla/Netscape 7 [ In reply to ]
Dave Lyon wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed any DNS caching in mozilla browsers? When a
> backhand web server goes down, IE is rolling over to a running one,
> while my mozilla browser continues to try to hit the web server I was
> on. Any ideas? I assume this is a mozilla issue, but...

That is a "feature" in IE that is not detailed in any standard that I know of.

If you site has multiple A records, you _must_ have all IP addresses available
to service requests at all times. The browser is not responsible for
alternating or retrying alternative IP addresses in the event of a failure --
though it is a nice feature.

As one can see, this has nothing to do with load-balancing. Rather, it is an
issue of availability. mod_backhand makes no attempts at providing
high-availability. However wackamole (also part of the backhand project) does.

If you have multiple IP addresses exposed to the public and advertised for a
web service, I would recommend implementing some for a high-availability
incorporating those IPs. wackamole is a usable product in a such a situation.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
Principal Consultant