Mailing List Archive

backhand ssl problem
If I specified port 80 for both of our machines in the MulticastStats
line, one shows up at 80 and one at 443. Contrary to my prior message
It looks like I *am* getting backhanded to another server occasionally
("Backhand removeSelf" didn't seem to do what I thought it would).

When I do get passed to the new server, I get an error..
the url looks like...

https://dev.mail.umich.edu/mod_ssl%3Aerror%3AHTTP-request

Not Found
The requested URL /mod_ssl:error:HTTP-request was not found on this
server.

I still don't know why if both machines are set to port 80 in the
MulticastStats line, that one of them insists on listening on 443. I'm
open for ideas there..

So... I tried setting both of them to listen on port 443, restart, and
when I get backhanded, I get:

Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.
Hint: https://backhand-test1.web.itd.umich.edu:443/

I'm using the copy of backhand from CVS - I checked it out on 3/13/03,
which appears to have support for SSL acc'd to the change log. Is
there something else I have to specify to make SSL work?

Liam
backhand ssl problem [ In reply to ]
The last thing you want to do is forward a connection over SSL. That
means you incur the cost of key negotiation between server A and the
client C (which you always do), but then you have to also incur it
between server A and server B -- which is expensive and simply a dumb
approach.

Instead you provide the same service over HTTP and allow your servers
to redirect to each other over unencrypted HTTP (port 80). Then only
expose the SSL to the public. It works like a charm. Your servers
here are on a LAN and mod_backhand itself expects that environment to
be reasonably secure.

CLIENT <-- HTTPS --> Server A
Server A <-- HTTP --> Server B