Mailing List Archive

Problems with removeSelf
Aloha everybody,

I have a problem with the removeSelf function. I installed mod_backhand on
six servers and it runs perfect. However, I want to disable the front-end
server from the candidate list.

5 Servers have the name "srv-hawaii1" to "srv-hawaii5"
1 Server as frontend with the name "loader"

In the Apache config for "loader" I use:

<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
Backhand removeSelf
Backhand byAge 5
BackhandFromSO modules/byHostname.so byHostname
(srv\-hawaii)
Backhand byRandom
Backhand byLogWindow
Backhand byLoad
</Directory>

In the configuration for the other servers (e.g., "srv1-hawaii") I use:

<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
#Backhand removeSelf
Backhand byAge 5
BackhandFromSO modules/byHostname.so byHostname
(srv\-hawaii)
Backhand byRandom
Backhand byLogWindow
Backhand byLoad
</Directory>

I experience following problem:

Without or without the BackhandFromSO line, the loader disappears from the
list of active backhand servers. That's good so far?! However, "loader" now
does processes the script in the local directory instead of forwarding it to
the other servers (as it should do as front-end.
I restarted every daemon in the cluster after each change in the config file
just to make sure, but that's not it...

Hope you can help me there!

Mahalo nui loa!

Ralf Mitteregger
Problems with removeSelf [ In reply to ]
On Friday, Mar 7, 2003, at 19:49 US/Eastern, Ralf Mitteregger ((POH))
wrote:
> Without or without the BackhandFromSO line, the loader disappears from
> the
> list of active backhand servers. That's good so far?! However,
> "loader" now
> does processes the script in the local directory instead of forwarding
> it to
> the other servers (as it should do as front-end.
> I restarted every daemon in the cluster after each change in the
> config file
> just to make sure, but that's not it...

That's _not_ good. The loader MUST be in the list of active servers.
The candidacy functions you have look right and should eliminate loader
from its list of candidate (not from the active server list).

If your loader has two interfaces, make sure the multicast stats is
going out the right interface. Also, make sure your accept stats lines
will allow seeing the backend machines from the front end box.

If all requests come into loader, you don't really need any Backhand
directives on the back end boxes. You'll need backhand loaded and
configured, but you don't need any balancing directives as they will
never receive requests originating directly from clients and thus never
have the opportunity to redirect them.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
Principal Consultant