Mailing List Archive

Red servers in status screen
I recently setup mod_backhand and I am very impressed overall. Great job
guys.

Background information: we have two servers at two different data
centers. The first server (we'll call it Bull) is the moderator and
sends traffic to the second server (called Cow). Bull uses FreeBSD 4.6
and Cow runs 5.0.

However I'm having some confusion about the backhand status screen
(/backhand/ on the moderator server).

The setup works properly for the most part. By viewing the access logs
on both servers (tail -f) I can see traffic streaming to both and it
appears to be at about the right pace.

Many times, though, when I refresh the status screen on the moderator
server (Bull) I only see the entry for Cow, and the entry is red, even
though load balancing is working correctly. This morning when I came in
(after backhand had been operational all night) I saw both servers in
red and I had to restart them for this situation to correct itself.

What does this mean? Should I be concerned? Like I said, everything
appears to be working properly. I don't see any interesting entries in
the error log.

Another small bug: I never see a ~ms/req entry on Cow.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. If there's no bug fix
I'd be willing to dive into the source if you can give me an idea what's
wrong.

- tom
--
tlack@modernmethod.com