Mailing List Archive

help!
Hi all,

Been trying to get my head round bakhand, am still confused.. some help will
be greatfully received.

I have a main server that receives hits to the cgi scripts
they are located in
www1.mysite.com/cgi-bin/objects
/usr/home/mysite/cgi-bin/objects
193.109.194.33

When the cpu on www1 is at 75% capacity i want to push the requests to
www2.mysite.com/cgi-bin/objects
/usr/home/mysite/cgi-bin/objects
193.109.194.82

can anyone help me with the setup of my httpd.conf files...
can the level of cpu activity be set or is it automatic

the two server are on a 100Mb LAN connection
should the requests be passwd via TCP/IP or sockets.. how do I change to
each one?

if i set the directory to
<Directory "/usr/local/mysite/cgi-bin">
will request to cgi-bin/objects (a directory lower) be passed to the 2nd
server or is it only scripts in the actual cgi-bin directory itself?

<snip>

# <Directory ...>
# ... stuff ...
# Backhand byAge
# Backhand byRandom
# Backhand byLogWindow
# Backhand byCPU
# ... stuff ...
# </Directory>

# This will elminate servers you haven't heard from in a while
# Then randomize those remaining
# Then take the first log(n) (log base 2 of course)
# Then use the one with the highest idle CPU

<IfModule mod_backhand.c>
# UnixSocketDir is were the mod_backhand-Arriba file is stored
# (how fast your machine is) This directory must be readable and writable
# by euid of apache (nobody) Becuase the children have dropped privledges
# before they connect to UNIX domain socket in this directory.
# This directive is singular.
#
# MulticastStats of the form [<IP ADDR>] <BROADCAST ADDR>:<PORT> will set
# mod_backhand to broadcast server statistics on that address advertising
# for a server on <IP ADDR> or gethostbyname(gethostname())
# MulticastStats of the form [<IP ADDR>] <MULTICAST ADDR>:<PORT>,<ttl> will
# set mod_backhand to multicast server statistics on that address
# advertising for a server on <IP ADDR> or gethostbyname(gethostname())
# This directive is singular.
#
# AcceptStats <a.b.c.d>[/<mask>] (like 10.0.0.4 or 10.0.0.0/24) will accept
# statistics originating from that IP or IP network.
# This option can be cascaded.

UnixSocketDir /usr/local/apache/backhand
# MulticastStats 128.220.221.255:4445
MulticastStats 225.220.221.20:4445,1
AcceptStats 128.220.221.0/24

# This is a status of sorts. Visit it and see how valuable it is to you.
<Location "/backhand/">
SetHandler backhand-handler
</Location>
</IfModule>