Hi. I've been toying around with backhand and now I'm pretty happy with
it. In my organization we are trying to balance request using some
business logic --a parameter in query string selects the server-- and
this works like a charm. Many kudos to the inflictors :-)

However, I would like to know about performance issues using backhand:
anybody can tell me if backhand is currently being used under high load
conditions? (we need to serve 10-12 million hits a day, but the

Regards, and keep the good work.
Feedback and questions about Backhand [ In reply to ]
Leonardo Herrera wrote:

> Hi. I've been toying around with backhand and now I'm pretty happy
> with it. In my organization we are trying to balance request using
> some business logic --a parameter in query string selects the server--
> and this works like a charm. Many kudos to the inflictors :-)
>
> However, I would like to know about performance issues using backhand:
> anybody can tell me if backhand is currently being used under high
> load conditions? (we need to serve 10-12 million hits a day, but the

I don't see that being a problem at all. You may want to experiment
with turning connection pools off. I get a good performance advantage
with them off on large sites and a performance advantage with them
turned on for small sites.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
Principal Consultant
Feedback and questions about Backhand [ In reply to ]
Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
[...]
>> However, I would like to know about performance issues using backhand:
>> anybody can tell me if backhand is currently being used under high
>> load conditions? (we need to serve 10-12 million hits a day, but the
>

> I don't see that being a problem at all. You may want to experiment
> with turning connection pools off. I get a good performance advantage
> with them off on large sites and a performance advantage with them
> turned on for small sites.

Ok, one more issue. We are using CGI (fastcgi) programs to generate
these images. In our test setup (a moderator plus two workhorses) one
machine gets the correct ip address (HTTP_REMOTE_ADDR), but the other
keep getting the moderator's ip. Both machines are using almost the same
configuration. The funny part is the fact that the same is happening
with the BackhandProxied header.

Regards,

Leonardo Herrera